Warrant reportedly issued for former SU defensive end Markus Pierce-Brewster

first_img Published on September 15, 2015 at 5:00 pm Contact Paul: pmschwed@syr.edu | @pschweds A warrant for former Syracuse defensive end Markus Pierce-Brewster was issued on Tuesday, according to Syracuse.com.Pierce-Brewster was repeatedly called into court by State Supreme Court Justice John Brunetti to complete his plea deal for a burglary case that would have saved him from jail time. But after not showing up several times, Brunetti issued the warrant.He and former defensive tackle Davon Walls were arrested in February 2013 and charged with second-degree burglary and petit larceny after allegedly burglarizing an apartment on the 400 block of Winding Ridge Road. According to court documents they were accused of stealing a television, an Xbox and other electronics.Pierce-Brewster and Walls were suspended from the team for a violation of team rules following the arrest and both admitted to the crime. Both were placed on probation.In order to complete the probation period, though, Pierce-Brewster had to return to court to provide a DNA sample, which he hasn’t done.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHe finished his college career at West Texas A&M and failed to make an NFL roster this past year after trying out with the New Orleans Saints. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Pro 12 teams back in action

first_imgDarragh Leader replaces the injured Danie Poolman on the wing.In the pack hooker Shane Delahunt will make just his second start while second row Aly Muldowney is also named for his first start of the season.The back row sees Eoin McKeon shift to blindside flanker to make way for Eoghan Masterson at Number 8. Connacht have made 5 changes to their side for tomorrows game with Ospreys at Liberty stadium.Jack Carty has recovered from injury to take his place at out-half. Craig Ronaldson moves out to inside centre and Bundee Aki wears the 13 shirt.last_img read more

Iowa Court of Appeals to hear lawsuit over new judge selection law

first_imgDES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Court of Appeals will decide whether a lawsuit against the governor challenging a new law that changed the way Iowa picks some judges can move forward.The Iowa Supreme Court on Thursday issued an order sending the case filed in May by a group of Democratic lawmakers and lawyers against Gov. Kim Reynolds to the appeals court.The order signed by Justice Thomas Waterman said Chief Justice Mark Cady did not take part in the deliberations and that Justices David Wiggins and Brent Appel disagreed with the decision. They would have had the Supreme Court decide the case.That means the four remaining justices, all Republican appointees, favored sending the case to the appeals court.The case had been dismissed in June by a judge who said the lawmakers and other plaintiffs don’t have legal standing to challenge the law.The new law signed by Reynolds in May gave the governor an additional appointment to the 17-member state judicial nominating commission, resulting in the governor having a majority of nine appointees.The commission nominates justices for the Iowa Supreme Court and the Iowa Court of Appeals.last_img read more