University Heights residents say SDUSD expansion plans affecting buildings March 1, 2018 John Soderman, Updated: 10:17 PM University Heights residents concerned SDUSD’s plan to sell land will lead to condos surrounding historical buildings. pic.twitter.com/2hQeSX9mI6— John Soderman KUSI (@SodermanKUSI) March 2, 2018In December of 2017, SDUSD issued a “Request for Proposals” to exchange three of its properties, including the Ed Center site at 4100 Normal Street, for one property to become the new District Central Office.The Ed Center site is approximately 11 acres and includes the historic Teachers Training Annex and two other historic buildings but does not include Birney Elementary School or the Joint Use Field.According to SDUSD, the Ed Center site is of regional importance as the site of the former San Diego State Normal School, built in 1898 and the predecessor to San Diego State University.The site is also the birthplace of University Heights and contains the Teachers Training Annex, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and several other historic structures. Posted: March 1, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter John Soderman 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsUNIVERSITY HEIGHTS (KUSI) — University Heights residents gathered Thursday night to voice their concerns about a plan that could diminish the historical significance of the iconic University Heights community.Residents are concerned that a proposal to expand several of the San Diego Unified School District’s properties could negatively impact several historic buildings that make University Heights unique.
F+W Media has morphed a joint venture with Hoffman Media into a full-on acquisition, buying Hoffman’s Martha Pullen Company, which serves the sewing and craft markets. Key to the deal was Martha Pullen’s e-commerce and fulfillment operations.Transaction terms were not released, and while F+W certainly expands its footprint in the sewing market—the company serves a variety of enthusiast verticals—the deal gives F+W direct ownership of hard-good inventory and fulfillment. Up to now, F+W had been facilitating inventory and fulfillment through third-party partnerships.”Hard goods are defined as things like patterns, wool, fabrics, buttons and beads,” F+W CEO David Nussbaum tells FOLIO:. “We had only limited experience with these hard goods before, but we’re now moving a little more aggressively into that type of distribution.” F+W counts e-commerce as a major revenue stream, the company has made a concerted effort to move away from a reliance on advertising. At the recent Dealmakers Summit, hosted by media bankers DeSilva + Phillips, Nussbaum said, “Three years ago I put a call out to the team to become the Amazon of passion markets.”Nussbaum says e-commerce-related revenues jumped 75 percent in 2011 and expects similar growth in 2012. The relationship between Hoffman and F+W goes back to May 2011 when the two companies partnered in a joint e-commerce venture creating a Martha Pullen online store. According to the companies, year over year sales grew more than 40 percent, and sales are now trending 25 percent over prior year sales. Since the partnership, store visits have increased 96 percent.Those metrics opened the door to discussions of an acquisition, one that Hoffman EVP and COO Eric Hoffman says will allow his company to focus on its core food and women’s lifestyle markets. Brands at Hoffman include Cooking With Paula Deen and Southern Lady.Sale proceeds, says Hoffman, will be used for share buybacks and to fund organic growth plans. Also included in the deal are Sew Beautiful magazine, 10 consumer and trade events, relate websites, DVDs, books, sewing pattern subscription programs and the “Martha’s Sewing Room” TV show.
4 Soda flop. Coca-Cola Co. Stranger Things celebrates the 1980s, and with season 3 out July 4, what better way to give a taste of the decade then to revisit the infamous tweak to Coca-Cola known as New Coke. The beverage company tweeted Tuesday that it’ll pop open a limited release of New Coke to promote the new season of Stranger Things on streaming service Netflix. This comes 34 years after the release of the failed drink. Tags Starting on May 23 at 5 p.m. ET, the Coca-Cola Co. will release a limited-supply run of New Coke in the company’s online store. A bundle of two cans of the recipe and a limited-edition and numbered Stranger Things/Coca-Cola and Coke Zero Sugar 8-oz. glass bottle will be available for purchase. Coke will also set up free vending machines filled with New Coke in select cities. Customers who purchase tickets to the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta or who spend $19.85 or more at Coca-Cola Store Las Vegas on certain days during the week of June 3 will also have an opportunity to score cans of New Coke. Stranger Things creators The Duffer Brothers directed a new series trailer that doubles as a commercial for the drink and will be played in select movie theaters starting May 24. In a first-of-its-kind partnership with Netflix, we’re bringing back New Coke as an innovative way to reach “Stranger Things” fans. https://t.co/m7MEfX6E4i pic.twitter.com/GKvRLZnpDP— The Coca-Cola Co. (@CocaColaCo) May 21, 2019 Released in April 1985, New Coke was the Atlanta-based company’s attempt to regain market share that it was losing to other drinks. The new recipe didn’t make any fans, causing a huge backlash among drinkers of the original. It took just three months after the release for Coca-Cola to announce it would reintroduce the old drink that summer, dubbing it Coca-Cola Classic. Stranger Things season 3 is set during the summer of 1985. Originally published May 21, 9:09 a.m. PT.Update, May 22: Includes additional info on how to get New Coke. Share your voice Comments TV and Movies
Profit surges at Hilton, Hyatt100 viewsProfit surges at Hilton, Hyatt100 views00:00 / 00:00- 00:00:0000:00Profit surges at Hilton, Hyatt100 viewsBusinessMore travelers paying higher rates for rooms drove revenue and profit sharply higher at HIlton Worldwide. Business travel spurred by the strong U.S. economy drove up occupancy at the owner of theVentuno Web Player 4.50More travelers paying higher rates for rooms drove revenue and profit sharply higher at HIlton Worldwide. Business travel spurred by the strong U.S. economy drove up occupancy at the owner of the
Listen 00:00 /01:11 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share X – / 4Earlier this year, two people were hit and killed by trains just a few days apart. But the close calls are harder to measure. The transit agency has released several videos showing people walking or riding directly into the path of a train.To try to cut down on those incidents Metro is rolling out a new warning system, developed in conjunction with the Texas A&M Transportation Institute. As for how it works, a bluetooth signal from the train sets off an audible warning at the rail stop. Metro CEO Tom Lambert says they’re trying it out at two locations, Main Street Square and Hermann Park.“We expect to learn more lessons from this as we look to apply it at additional locations along the corridor,” adds Lambert.And they may expand the technology in the future according to Metro board member Jim Robinson.“Are there applications of this that can be put on people’s cellphones?” asks Robinson. “If they had the application on the cellphone and they were a motorist it would warn them the train was nearby.”Along with the new warning system, Metro says it’s also working on possible design changes at the Hermann Park and Med Center rail stops.
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. New dating of Neanderthal remains from Vindija Cave finds them older than thought Artifacts from the Anzick site. Credit: Texas A&M University © 2018 Phys.org Journal information: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences The Anzick site in Montana. The white post signals where the burial was found. Credit: PNAS Lorena Becerra-Valdivia at the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit (ORAU), University of Oxford, working on the equipment (HPLC) that was used to extract hydroxyproline from the Anzick site bone samples. Credit: Eileen Jacob (University of Oxford, Oxford). Explore further More information: Lorena Becerra-Valdivia et al. Reassessing the chronology of the archaeological site of Anzick, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2018). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1803624115AbstractFound in 1968, the archaeological site of Anzick, Montana, contains the only known Clovis burial. Here, the partial remains of a male infant, Anzick-1, were found in association with a Clovis assemblage of over 100 lithic and osseous artifacts—all red-stained with ochre. The incomplete, unstained cranium of an unassociated, geologically younger individual, Anzick-2, was also recovered. Previous chronometric work has shown an age difference between Anzick-1 and the Clovis assemblage (represented by dates from two antler rod samples). This discrepancy has led to much speculation, with some discounting Anzick-1 as Clovis. To resolve this issue, we present the results of a comprehensive radiocarbon dating program that utilized different pretreatment methods on osseous material from the site. Through this comparative approach, we obtained a robust chronometric dataset that suggests that Anzick-1 is temporally coeval with the dated antler rods. This implies that the individual is indeed temporally associated with the Clovis assemblage. Artifacts from the Anzick site. Credit: Texas A&M University In 1968, construction workers came upon the remains of an infant skeleton. Those remains became known as Anzick-1 and were believed to represent a member of the Clovis people. The Clovis people are believed to have been the first widespread group of people living in North America. Prior research has suggested they lived approximately 13,000 to 12,600 years ago. Their name comes from the distinctive Clovis-style projectiles they created.In the years after Anzick-1 was found, teams of researchers studying the remains found mixed results when testing for age. Some showed the remains as very nearly the same age as nearby Clovis artifacts, while others found the remains to be thousands of years more recent. In this new effort, the researchers sought to settle the matter once and for all using new and improved dating techniques.The new techniques involved using pretreatments of collagen found in the remains to factor out decontamination and for extracting a single amino acid for radiocarbon dating. The researchers report that all of their tests showed that antlers found near the burial site and the skull of a second specimen (Anzick-2) were roughly the same age—which was approximately the same as prior testing had shown. But some of the testing showed the remains of Anzick-1 to be approximately 1000 years younger. Another test the team performed, though, called HYP extraction, showed the infant remains to be approximately the same age as the antlers and Anzick-2. The differing results from the other tests, the researchers suggest, were likely due to contamination issues. They contend that because HYP is the more precise measurement technique, their results show that Anzick-1 is approximately the same age as the other artifacts. And this, they claim, suggests that the debate about the age of the remains should be considered resolved. A team of researchers from the University of Oxford, Texas A&M University and Stafford Research LLC has found evidence bolstering the theory that the skeletal remains of an infant unearthed in Montana are those of the only known Clovis burial. In their paper published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the group describes their testing methods and what they found. Citation: New testing method suggests baby Anzick-1 was same age as surrounding Clovis artifacts (2018, June 19) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-06-method-baby-anzick-age-clovis.html Lorena Becerra-Valdivia at the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit (ORAU), University of Oxford, working on the equipment (HPLC) that was used to extract hydroxyproline from the Anzick site bone samples. Credit: Eileen Jacob (University of Oxford, Oxford).
Kolkata: A youth was stabbed to death in broad daylight by some unidentified miscreants. The incident took place on platform number 1 at Baidyabati station in Hooghly on Tuesday.The Railway police have arrested two persons in this connection so far. According to the police, the victim, Joyprakash Das, a resident of Champdani area in Hooghly, was standing at the station on Tuesday afternoon when he got engaged in an altercation with some other youth. A scuffle soon broke out between the youth and other accused. One of the group members suddenly took out a knife and stabbed him. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsThe miscreants fled the spot immediately after the incident. Locals rushed the victim to Srerampur Welsh Hospital where he was declared brought dead.The body has been sent for post-mortem. After starting an investigation, the railway police have arrested two youth in this connection so far.They have been identified as Raju Das and Pradhan Das. According to the preliminary investigation, police suspect that the victim had a relationship with the wife of Pradhan Das. The accused are also residents of Champdani area. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedAn eyewitnesses told the police that he heard people shouting and when came out of his stall found that the victim was lying in a pool of blood on the platform. He was immediately rushed to the hospital. Three youth were seen fleeing the spot.Police are interrogating the duo and trying to know if other persons were involved in the incident. Police are yet to confirm the exact reason behind the incident. A senior official of the railway station said a murder has taken place on the platform. Police have started a detailed probe into the incident.