4 Soda flop. Coca-Cola Co. Stranger Things celebrates the 1980s, and with season 3 out July 4, what better way to give a taste of the decade then to revisit the infamous tweak to Coca-Cola known as New Coke. The beverage company tweeted Tuesday that it’ll pop open a limited release of New Coke to promote the new season of Stranger Things on streaming service Netflix. This comes 34 years after the release of the failed drink. Tags Starting on May 23 at 5 p.m. ET, the Coca-Cola Co. will release a limited-supply run of New Coke in the company’s online store. A bundle of two cans of the recipe and a limited-edition and numbered Stranger Things/Coca-Cola and Coke Zero Sugar 8-oz. glass bottle will be available for purchase. Coke will also set up free vending machines filled with New Coke in select cities. Customers who purchase tickets to the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta or who spend $19.85 or more at Coca-Cola Store Las Vegas on certain days during the week of June 3 will also have an opportunity to score cans of New Coke. Stranger Things creators The Duffer Brothers directed a new series trailer that doubles as a commercial for the drink and will be played in select movie theaters starting May 24. In a first-of-its-kind partnership with Netflix, we’re bringing back New Coke as an innovative way to reach “Stranger Things” fans. https://t.co/m7MEfX6E4i pic.twitter.com/GKvRLZnpDP— The Coca-Cola Co. (@CocaColaCo) May 21, 2019 Released in April 1985, New Coke was the Atlanta-based company’s attempt to regain market share that it was losing to other drinks. The new recipe didn’t make any fans, causing a huge backlash among drinkers of the original. It took just three months after the release for Coca-Cola to announce it would reintroduce the old drink that summer, dubbing it Coca-Cola Classic. Stranger Things season 3 is set during the summer of 1985. Originally published May 21, 9:09 a.m. PT.Update, May 22: Includes additional info on how to get New Coke. Share your voice Comments TV and Movies
In spite of the overwhelming success of LG’s Nexus 4 smartphone, the company on Tuesday said it has no plans for the next generation Nexus device so far.A few hours after LG rolled out its much anticipated white Nexus 4 variant to the global market, Korean smartphone maker put the rumours of the next generation Nexus smartphone to rest. In a report published by Dutch website All About Phones, LG Mobile’s European Vice President Kim Wong said the company does not wish recreate the success of Nexus 4, making it clear that it does not have plans for its next collaboration.”There are currently no plans for a Nexus 5 made by us. We don’t need that kind of marketing exposure anymore. The Nexus 4 was a great success, even with the supply issues and we have a great relationship with Google. But we won’t make the Nexus 5,” revealed Kim Wong.The latest revelation from the smartphone maker came at a time when reports of Google-LG collaboration for the next Nexus device are doing the rounds.LG also confirmed that it will not be launching any smartphones featuring flexible displays this year, as the technology is still being developed.The report also quoted Wong as saying, “The tablet market is currently fairly segmented; nevertheless we continue to invest in it.” He mentioned that LG is prepping an Android tablet for the lucrative tablet market, but did not reveal its availability.
Map Syria. Photo: CollectedIran’s Revolutionary Guards said Monday they had launched a missile attack against a “terrorist” headquarters in Syria in retaliation for a September attack on the Iranian city of Ahvaz.“The headquarters of those responsible for the terrorist crime in Ahvaz was attacked a few minutes ago east of the Euphrates by several ballistic missiles fired by the aerospace branch of the Guardians of the Revolution,” the Guards said on their official website.“Based on preliminary reports, many takfiri terrorists and the leaders responsible for the terrorist crime in Ahvaz have been killed or wounded in this missile attack,” the Guards added.The term “takfiri”, derived from the Arabic word for anathema, is used by the Iranian authorities to refer to Sunni jihadists.The Guards did not say where the missiles were launched from.According to Iran’s Fars news agency, the Guards fired Zolfaghar and Qiam missiles, with a range of 750 kilometres and 800 kilometres (465 and 500 miles), respectively.On 22 September, 24 people were shot dead in an attack at a military parade in Ahvaz in southwest Iran. The Islamic State group, which Iran and its Damascus allies are fighting in Syria, has claimed responsibility for the attack.Iranian president Hassan Rouhani had vowed a “crushing” response in retaliation.