Tradition is an important part of college football, especially in the Big Ten. From the Ohio State Marching Band playing “Script Ohio” to Michigan football players running out of the tunnel and jumping up to touch the “Go Blue” banner, traditions make every school unique. Saturday, the No. 9 OSU football team will play at the University of Iowa, where players will encounter another unique tradition. The visitors’ locker room is painted pink. “I honestly don’t know anything about Iowa, the state or just anything to be honest. I know that they have a pink locker room, that’s about it,” OSU senior kicker Devin Barclay said. The pink locker room for visiting opponents is a tradition started by former Iowa coach Hayden Fry in his first season in 1979. “Our facilities were a little bit dilapidated when I arrived, and every place I’d gone to that had a losing program, we tried to change the image,” Fry said in an interview with Iowa TV station KWWL. Fry put linebackers coach Howard Sissel in charge of changing everything from the equipment to the facilities. When it came time to improve the locker rooms, Fry said, “The only paint that Howard could find was pink paint. So we applied that to the visiting team’s locker room.” Fry graduated from Baylor University with a degree in psychology, so he knew the pink color scheme could provide a small advantage for his football team. “Me, being an old psychology professor, knew that would be relaxing, cool, calm,” Fry said. “If I wanted to fire the opposing team up, I would have painted it red.” OSU coach Jim Tressel will be making his third trip to Kinnick Stadium, where he holds a 1-1 record. In Tressel’s first trip to Iowa City in 2004, the Hawkeyes dominated OSU 33-7. The Buckeyes’ last game at Iowa in 2006 had a much better result for Tressel — OSU won 38-17. Tressel doesn’t think the pink locker room will be too much of a distraction for his team Saturday. “They’ve renovated their stadium, and the locker rooms are nice but they are a different shade, and that’s one of the old tradition things that was done so long ago,” Tressel said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “Last time we were there, I didn’t notice it as a problem. Now, maybe two times ago that was the problem, I don’t know, but I’d like to think that won’t be the problem.”
Junior linebacker Joshua Perry was joined by a few of his teammates outside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center on Monday afternoon to promote a cause he called “Whipping Childhood Cancer.”Earlier in the year, Perry befriended a young boy named Joshua Chambers who has been diagnosed with leukemia.Perry, joined by teammates junior linebacker Joe Burger, redshirt-sophomore safety Tyvis Powell, senior defensive lineman Michael Bennett, junior cornerback Armani Reeves, redshirt-freshman linebacker Darron Lee, and co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Luke Fickell, took whip-cream pies to the face in an attempt to raise awareness about childhood cancer and the fight against it.
German great Lothar Matthaus believes Borussia Dortmund’s Achraf Hakimi has already become the Bundesliga’s best left-backThe 20-year-old arrived at Signal Iduna Park in the summer on a two-year loan from Real Madrid, where he spent the majority of his time playing back-up to Dani Carvajal and Nacho Fernandez.Hakimi has started 12 of Dortmund’s 17 league matches and even provided three assists on his Champions League debut for the club in their 4-0 win over Atletico Madrid in October.The Morocco international’s performances have been so impressive in Germany that Matthaus reckons the national team coach Joachim Low would love to have him.Mourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.“Hakimi has played a crazy first half of the season,” Matthäus wrote on his Sky column.“For me, Hakimi is the best left-back in the league right now. It would make ‘Jogi’ Löw happy if he had someone with his dynamics, pace and technical ability.”Dortmund will return to action away to RB Leipzig on January 19 in the Bundesliga.
Real Madrid manager Santiago Solari has given fans a welcome piece of news on Sergio Ramos ahead of Copa del Rey clash with Girona on Thursday.There had been fears over Ramos’ well-being after a challenge by Sergio Garcia in Sunday’s 4-2 La Liga win over Espanyol had forced the Real captain to be withdrawn with a heavy knee sprain.Tests on Monday, however, revealed that it was not a serious issue and Ramos returned to training with the rest of his team-mates at Real’s training base in Valdebebas.The return of their skipper is a welcome sight for everyone at Real given that a derby against Atletico Madrid and a Champions League last-16 tie with Ajax is not far away now.Speaking in his pre-match news conference, Solari confirmed that Ramos will even be making a quicker than expected return to action in time for their second leg at Girona in the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey.“Sergio is fit,” said Solari, via Fox Sports.“It was a scare when it happened – it was a tough blow – but he’s recovered and has been training with the rest of his team-mates. That’s good news.”Goalkeeper Keylor Navas has returned to training following a long spell on the sidelines due to an adductor problem with defender Jesus Vallejo being the only absentee for Solari on Thursday.The Argentine also praised Vinicius Junior’s impressive form of late once more, but refused to say whether he will get the nod over Gareth Bale in the starting line-up.“It depends on the game,” replied Solari, when asked to pick between Vinicius or Bale.La Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…“Every game has a different script. We have many games coming up.“The great news is that all the players – apart from Vallejo, who has started training – are fit and available.“We’re going to have that healthy competition in the squad, which can only benefit us going forward.“We’re delighted with [Vinicius’] progress. He’s just arrived at the club and he’s already done very well.“We have such a great squad. Everyone’s working so hard. All but Vallejo are training and working hard.”The quarter-final second leg between Girona and Real will begin at 21:30 (CET) on Thursday.🆚 4 matches against @GironaFC✅ 3 wins⚽ 15 @RealMadrid goals#RMCity pic.twitter.com/P3QaA8Wc68— Real Madrid C.F. 🇬🇧🇺🇸 (@realmadriden) January 30, 2019
Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois believes Girona’s strong second-half display proved key to ending Real Madrid’s eight-match unbeaten run.Prior to today’s encounter, Real had secured five successive La Liga wins to put themselves within six points of leaders Barcelona and an unlikely title challenge looked set to go ahead after beating city rivals Atletico Madrid 3-1 last weekend.But Los Blancos were sent back crashing down to Earth this afternoon in front of their home supporters at the Santiago Bernabeu.Casemiro’s 25th-minute header from Toni Kroos’ cross down the right wing appeared to set a heavily changed Real side, who were missing a suspended Luka Modric with Gareth Bale benched, on course for a sixth consecutive league win.Things soon fell apart though in the second-half with Cristhian Stuani’s penalty putting Girona back on level terms before Portu headed in another for the visitors in the 75th-minute to seal a shock 2-1 win.Adding to Real’s misery came when Sergio Ramos was sent off in stoppage-time for an attempted overhead kick that instead caught Girona’s Pedro Alcala.“We played well in the first half, but the pace was not as high as in some of our recent games,” said Courtois on the club website.La Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…“They had two chances which I was able to stop but in the second half they played much better and brought a real threat. Girona always make life difficult, it’s three points we really had to win today”.“The penalty is a shame. After that we struggled to control the game and that’s when they made it 1-2.“We didn’t react well and Girona took the win. Now we have to continue winning games and put in a good performance against Levante. We have to keep fighting, La Liga is a long-run thing”.Santiago Solari’s side are now third in La Liga and will next take a trip to Levante UD next Sunday.FP: @realmadrid 1-2 @GironaFC ⚽ @Casemiro 25′; Stuani 65′ (p), Portu 75’#RMLiga pic.twitter.com/pta596lvkJ— Real Madrid C.F.⚽ (@realmadrid) February 17, 2019
Baker Hughes and two other related companies and an employee are facing 10 criminal charges for allegedly exposing workers to toxic chemicals. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Oil field service company Baker Hughes is facing criminal charges for allegedly exposing workers to toxic chemicals at its Kenai location, according to court documents. Court documents state that In May 2014, four contracted workers were exposed to a hazardous gas release while building a new chemical transfer facility to replace an aging one owned by Baker Petrolite Corporation. The construction site was about 40 feet away from the original facility. Court documents state, four UIC employees who reported exposure to the hazardous gas release complained of headaches, sore throats, respiratory distress and burning eyes. They were taken to a medical clinic for evaluation. Investigators note a specific incident in May of 2014 where BPC employees were cleaning a tote that contained RE31151CRW, a corrosion inhibitor chemical, that allegedly seeped into the construction site where the UIC employees were working. RE31151CRW is considered hazardous by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Baker Hughes issued the following statement: “Baker Hughes will continue to defend the case; however, in light of the Court’s order issued today, we cannot comment at this time.” An arraignment is set for July 2 at 1:30 at the Kenai Courthouse.
Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Subscribe: iTunes | RSS | Google Play | FeedBurner | SoundCloud |TuneIn | Stitcher reading • Apple’s FaceTime bug comes at an awkward time (The 3:59, Ep. 511) Huawei Apple Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Apple’s FaceTime bug comes at an awkward time (The 3:59,… See All 1 Tags The Daily Charge Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors • Now playing: Watch this: Apple Share your voice Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? 4:36 Comment Your browser does not support the audio element. Security On this podcast, we talk about: Apple’s major FaceTime flaw. A preview of Apple’s earnings.Huawei’s legal troubles.The 3:59 gives you bite-size news and analysis about the top stories of the day, brought to you by the CNET News team in New York and producer Bryan VanGelder. Check out the extended shows on YouTube. Also, don’t forget to rate and review the podcast on iTunes. Apple’s FaceTime bug comes at an awkward time (The 3:59, Ep. 511)
In spite of the overwhelming success of LG’s Nexus 4 smartphone, the company on Tuesday said it has no plans for the next generation Nexus device so far.A few hours after LG rolled out its much anticipated white Nexus 4 variant to the global market, Korean smartphone maker put the rumours of the next generation Nexus smartphone to rest. In a report published by Dutch website All About Phones, LG Mobile’s European Vice President Kim Wong said the company does not wish recreate the success of Nexus 4, making it clear that it does not have plans for its next collaboration.”There are currently no plans for a Nexus 5 made by us. We don’t need that kind of marketing exposure anymore. The Nexus 4 was a great success, even with the supply issues and we have a great relationship with Google. But we won’t make the Nexus 5,” revealed Kim Wong.The latest revelation from the smartphone maker came at a time when reports of Google-LG collaboration for the next Nexus device are doing the rounds.LG also confirmed that it will not be launching any smartphones featuring flexible displays this year, as the technology is still being developed.The report also quoted Wong as saying, “The tablet market is currently fairly segmented; nevertheless we continue to invest in it.” He mentioned that LG is prepping an Android tablet for the lucrative tablet market, but did not reveal its availability.
Share On Monday’s edition of Houston Matters: For weeks following Tropical Storm Harvey, the George R. Brown Convention center downtown was used to house thousands of evacuees — until today. As KHOU is reporting, the last evacuees were bused out of the GRB early this morning bound for other shelters around town. We talk with the Red Cross about where those evacuees were headed and about lessons learned from the process of housing displaced Houstonians.Also this hour: With so many Houstonians displaced by Harvey, what will it mean for the apartment and housing market? We talk with Tom McCasland, director for Houston’s Housing and Community Development Department to find out.Then: Houstonians know Lily Jang as a former morning news anchor for KHOU 11. A first generation American, her family moved to the United States from Saigon when she was just a year old. Jang and Houston Public Media traveled to Vietnam together to discover the vibrant country and culture there today for a program called Saigon Stories, in conjunction with Ken Burns’ new documentary The Vietnam War. Houston Matters producer Michael Hagerty talks with Jang about the special and her return trip to Vietnam.Plus: The Astros kick off their final home stand of the regular season, and the Texans prepare to face the Patriots. We discuss those and other developments in Houston sports with Jeff Balke, who writes for Houston Press and Houstonia Magazine.We offer a free daily, downloadable podcast here, on iTunes, Stitcher and various other podcasting apps.
By Micha Green, AFRO Washington, D.C. Editor, firstname.lastname@example.orgPrince George’s County is gearing up to send students back to school in style and prepared for a year of success, through discounts and programming for the whole family to appreciate.Maryland’s Tax-Free Week kicked off August 11, according to WJLA, and ends on Saturday, August 17. The week is used for parents, guardians and students alike, to do some shopping in preparation for school. Clothing items under $100 are exempt from Maryland’s six percent tax. Backpacks under $40 are also exempt.Prince George’s County has been gearing up on September 3. (Courtesy Photo)Prince George’s County itself has a lot of special programming to encourage positivity, ease and preparedness during the back-to-school frenzy.On August 12, the District of Columbia, Mid-Atlantic Aid to Humanity hosted an event along with the Felix Manalo Foundation free school supplies, gently used shoes and clothing, canned goods, services such as health check-ups, and even food, entertainment and a moon bounce. The event was held at Temple Hills Chapel.In addition, Prince George’s County Public Schools is heavily promoting the Back-to-School Block Party at the Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex in Landover on August 17. Thousands are expected to come out to the Sports and Learning Complex from 8:45 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for hours of entertainment and engaging resources, including a ribbon cutting (8:45 a.m.), school and County information, vendors, free vision and dental screenings for children, and video game trucks. In addition, parents were able to register for a backpack giveaway. “So this is our unofficial kickoff to the opening of school,” Prince George’s CEO Dr. Monica Goldson told WJLA. “And it’s our opportunity to give our students backpacks, school supplies, just to get them ready for the opening of school. It’s also an opportunity for them to come together with other classmates and just have fun. We will have free dental screenings, along with providing them backpacks and supplies,” Goldson added.Attendees are even in for a surprise. “We have a special guest coming to do some music for our students and parents,” Goldson said. “It’s a secret now, you have to come to the Block Party.”Students begin school in Prince George’s County Public Schools on September 3.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville lacrosse team completed a successful spring semester in the classroom, posting a 3.616 team grade-point average. Sixteen players were named to the Dean’s List for Spring 2019, earning above a 3.5 GPA, while four were named Dean’s Scholars for a perfect 4.0 GPA.The Cardinals have a cumulative 3.493 GPA, which includes previous semesters of everyone on the roster.Lexie Ball, Tessa Chad and Brenna Shanahan all attended graduation last weekend. Chad graduated with a B.S. in Sport Administration, while Shanahan graduated with a B.S. in Exercise Science. Ball will complete her degree this summer. “I am extremely proud of our team for their efforts in the classroom,” said head coach Scott Teeter. “Prior to the semester, we set a goal for our team to achieve a 3.5 grade-point average and we are thrilled to accomplish that feat.”In addition, 24 of 25 student-athletes earned a 3.0 or better GPA, while 23 earned Red & Black Scholar Athlete status for a 3.25 or better cumulative GPA. For the latest information on Louisville lacrosse, visit GoCards.com, or follow the team’s Twitter account at @LouisvilleLax or on Facebook at facebook.com/UofLLacrosse.Print Friendly Version Story Links
October 9, 2000Workshoppersand guests talk with PaoloSoleri over lunch at the Arcosanti Cafe before the Xtet performance. At the Colly Soleri Amphitheater,Xtet from Los Angeles performs 20th Century classics and cutting edge pieces.On stage are Vicki Ray, piano; David Johnson, percussion; and Elizabeth Baker,violin. Photo by: DoctressNeutopia
January 22, 2004ValKiri has been in charge of ceramic tiles production in the Arcosanti Ceramics Studio since 1999. One of her recent projects was to make tiles as signs for the public bathrooms in the East Crescent, Unit 8, and at the ceramics apse location.[Photo & Text: aa] The tiles are in place. Color behind the tile matches the color of the door to each bathroom.[Photo & Text: aa] The sign for the handicap accessible bathroom at the ceramics apse.[Photo & Text: aa]
Netflix says that it is now streaming in Ultra HD 4K quality over the web, with the second season of its original drama House of Cards and several nature films available in the format.In an official blog post, Netflix said that though its catalogue of Ultra HD 4K movies is currently small, it expects to add more 4K content and increase the number of devices this can be accessed on later this year.Alongside House of Cards, Netflix viewers can also access a number of nature films in 4K from photographer and filmmaker Louie Schwarztberg. Later this year Netflix said it will add AMC drama Breaking Bad in 4K along with “more Netflix original productions.”The first TVs capable of streaming Netflix Ultra HD 4K include the Samsung UH8550 and UH9000. Netflix said more TVs that support Netflix in 4K will be in stores soon from Samsung, Sony, LG, and Vizio.“If you buy one of these new TVs, just connect it to a power outlet and the internet, turn it on and sign into Netflix. Ultra HD 4K streaming will work out of the box,” said Netflix.“Market researchers predict that consumers will buy a million Ultra HD 4K TVs this year and even more in subsequent years. We expect it will likely take up to 5 years before Ultra HD 4K becomes mainstream; when most of the TVs on store shelves are Ultra HD 4K.”