Bajaj Auto workers union threatens hunger strike at Akurdi plant in Pune

first_imgIn yet another sign of a conflict of interest between trade unions and corporates, Vishwa Kalyan Kamagar Sanghatana (VKS) — the trade union representing the workers of Bajaj Auto — on Wednesday, January 4, threatened to go on a two-day strike at Akurdi plant in Pune starting January 7 to protest against, what the union said, “anti-worker activities” of the Bajaj Auto management.Royal Enfield two-wheeler sales rise in December; Bajaj Auto posts fallThe union said in a letter to Bajaj Auto Managing Director Rajiv Bajaj: “It will undertake a hunger strike at the Shahid Datta Padale statue, opposite Bajaj Auto gate, Akurdi, on 7-8 January against anti-workers and anti-union activities of the Bajaj management.”The union demanded that eight workers fired two years back apparently on the charges of serious misconduct be reinstated. Further, it also alleged that active members were deliberately transferred and were given false charge sheets and show-cause letters by the company management.”The management is harassing our active members. They are issuing show-cause notices and even transferring workers. Besides, the issue of eight dismissed workers is yet to be settled,” Vishwa Kalyan Kamgar Sanghatana president Dilip Pawar told PTI.Additionally, Pawar said the workers are also dissatisfied because the wage-review process, which was due effective April 1, 2016, is yet to be finalised.In response, Baja Auto Executive Director Pradeep Shrivastava refused to discuss and take back the issue of dismissed workers. He said: “Only wages can be discussed.” In October 2016, the two-wheeler maker had offered workers a hike ranging from Rs 10,000 to Rs 11,500 to be paid over three years in three instalments. Shrivastava added that 100 per cent of the workers had accepted that offer.Production at the plant will not be affected by this call for a hunger strike, he said.At around 10:20 am on Thursday, January 5, Bajaj Auto stock was trading at Rs 2693 on the NSE. Most recently, the automaker launched the Pulsar 400, which is expected to rival Royal Enfield.In 2016, the stock has given a return of 8.08 per cent. Almost 10 mutual fund houses have invested in the stock, according to brokerage IIFL.last_img read more

Sourav Ganguly Harbhajan Singh slam BCCI as Rahul Dravid gets conflict of

first_imgRahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly enjoyed some great success together during their playing days. ReutersFormer Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly took to twitter and slammed the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) after they sent a conflict of interest notice to former cricketer Rahul Dravid. Ganguly stated that this new fashion of Indian cricket can hamper its future.”New fashion in indian cricket …..conflict of interest ….Best way to remain in news …god help indian cricket ……Dravid Gets Conflict of Interest Notice from BCCI,” his tweet read.Indian spinning legend Harbajhan Singh also criticised BCCI for these kinds of actions. He also mentioned that sending notices to these legends is like insulting them.”Really ?? Don’t know where it’s heading to.. u can’t get better person than him for Indian cricket. Sending notice to these legends is like insulting them.. cricket need their services for betterment. Yes god save indian cricket,” his tweet read. File photo of India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh.MAL FAIRCLOUGH/AFP/Getty ImagesRahul Dravid is currently the head of National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore. He got a notice from BCCI’s Ombudsman-cum-Ethics Officer Justice (Retd) DK Jain as a complaint was filed against the former claiming that Dravid, who is the NCA director currently, is also the vice-president of India Cements group. The complainant is a Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA) life member Sanjeev Gupta. He had earlier complained against the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman.A senior BCCI official on August 7 confirmed that Dravid has been sent a notice, according to IANS.”Yes, Dravid had been sent a notice by Jain last week and has two weeks to reply to the notice,” the official told IANS.But according to reports Dravid and India Cements had mutually decided to stall their association till the time the 46-year-old is the director of NCA.Because of this issue of the BCCI,  many former players are refraining from applying for the posts at NCA. The Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) members had to declare about any conflict before their appointment took place.last_img read more