Indonesia reports another avian flu death

first_imgMay 31, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – A 15-year-old boy in West Java has become Indonesia’s latest avian flu fatality, according to news reports that cited local tests.Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported today that in the remote North Sumatra village that witnessed a large family cluster of avian flu cases, no cases suggestive of H5N1 infection have been detected since May 22.The 15-year-old boy, who was from Tasikmalaya, West Java, was admitted to a hospital May 29 and died yesterday, according to a Reuters story today. If his death is confirmed by a WHO laboratory in Hong Kong, his will be the 49th case and 37th death in Indonesia. About two thirds of those cases have occurred this year.Government officials said that the teen had contact with infected poultry and that his own chickens died about 2 weeks ago, according to Reuters. In addition, the report said, the boy’s grandfather was a chicken farmer who had 40 chickens that died recently.The boy represents the third recent H5N1 fatality from West Java province. A 10-year-old girl and her 18-year-old brother died last week in Bandung, which is about 55 miles northwest of Tasikmalaya.Today’s WHO update on the case cluster in Kubu Simbelang village, Karo District, North Sumatra, states that 54 family members and other close contacts remain under home quarantine. In addition, investigators have been conducting house-to-house surveillance for flu-like symptoms throughout the 400 or so households in the village, and a surveillance command post was set up in the village last week.With all this monitoring in place, no new cases resembling avian flu have been identified in Kubu Simbelang over the last 9 days, the WHO reports. This finding is important, the agency says, because it indicates that the H5N1 strain has not spread beyond members of the single extended family.Today’s WHO update also provides further details on the history of the case cluster.As noted in previous reports, the original family member to fall ill was a 37-year-old woman who is considered the index case, though samples from her body were not collected before she was buried. According to today’s report, she started showing symptoms consistent with avian flu April 24 and died May 4.She sold fruit and chilies at a market stand about 50 feet (15 m) from a stand that sold live chickens, according to the WHO. She also kept a small flock of backyard chickens, which she allowed into the house at night. Three of these chickens reportedly died before she became ill. She also used chicken feces to fertilize her garden.The woman had one sister and three brothers. The sister and two of the brothers contracted H5N1, and one of the brothers is the only infected family member to survive.The family members who died of avian flu include the 37-year-old’s two teenaged sons, her sister’s 18-month-old girl, and a 10-year-old son of the brother who died.On April 29, according to today’s update, nine family members spent the night in the same small room as the index patient when she was severely ill and coughing heavily. Five to 6 days later, three family members experienced symptoms. These were her two teenaged sons and the surviving brother, who was from a village 6 miles away.The sister of the initial patient developed symptoms at the same time, as did the sister’s 18-month-old daughter. The sister, who lived in an adjacent house, cared for the index patient, accompanied by her young daughter.The 10-year-old boy lived next door to the 37-year-old woman and was a frequent visitor in her house. His father, the woman’s brother, was the final fatality (May 22) and had tended his son throughout his hospital stay from May 9 through May 13.The WHO report also says that a parallel agricultural investigation still has not detected H5N1 virus in about 80 samples from area animals and chicken fertilizer, meaning that the initial source of the outbreak remains unknown.See also:WHO’s Indonesia cluster updatehttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_05_31/en/index.htmllast_img read more

Palace slams petition seeking to bare Rody’s medical records

first_imgLawyer Dino De Leon has filed anExtremely Urgent Petition for Mandamus asking the high court to direct Duterte,through the Office of the President and/or Executive Secretary SalvadorMedialdea, to disclose his medical records, undergo confirmatory tests, andrelease these tests’ results. “There is no evidence submitted beforethe high court that the President is suffering from a serious illness,” Panelosaid. “I am encouraging the petitioner to improve his knowledge on the law.” “The issue on the health of thePresident is now with the Supreme Court, and I look forward to their swiftaction, in light of the urgency of the situation,” he added./PN MANILA – Malacañang lambasted a petitionfiled by a lawyer urging the Supreme Court (SC) to compel President RodrigoDuterte to release to the public his medical records. “The petition does not have any factualor legal bases. It is hornbook doctrine that a petition before a court of lawcannot be anchored on mere conjectures or surmises,” he added. Chief Presidential Legal CounselSalvador Panelo said the petition, which claimed that Duterte looked“physically unwell” during his previous address regarding the coronavirusdisease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, were “just purely speculations.” “The petition filed by a certain lawyerbefore the Supreme Court to compel President Duterte to disclose the results ofhis medical exams or other health records warrants an outright dismissal,”Panelo said in a statement. “The suit may have been a product ofpetitioner’s boredom as a result of the enhanced community quarantine. He mayinstead want to use his time by brushing up his law,” he added. Panelo cited Article VII, Section 12 ofthe 1987 Constitution as he assured that the public will be informed of thestate of the President’s health only if he has a serious illness. President Rodrigo Duterte addresses the nation on Monday night amid the extended Luzon lockdown and coronavirus outbreak in the country. PTV “This Extremely Urgent Petition forMandamus was mainly brought about by my concern as a citizen on the physicaland mental fitness of President Duterte to steer the nation as we face thehealth crisis,” De Leon said in a Facebook post on Monday night.last_img read more

As Andrew Friedman’s contract with Dodgers nears end, an extension is likely

first_img Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start LOS ANGELES — Hyun-Jin Ryu, Rich Hill, David Freese and Russell Martin will all be free agents following the conclusion of this season.Contract decisions could send others on the Dodgers’ current roster onto the open market in November or December.But there is an even more central figure who could become a free agent following this season.When Andrew Friedman left the Tampa Bay Rays to become president of baseball operations for the Dodgers in October 2014, he signed a five-year contract. This is the fifth year. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Lux, 21, batted .313 with 13 home runs and 37 RBIs in 64 games at Double-A Tulsa before being promoted to Triple-A in late June. He hit .392 with 13 home runs and 39 RBIs in 49 games for the Oklahoma City Dodgers. Among Pacific Coast League batters with at least 200 plate appearances, Lux ranked second in average (.392), first in on-base percentage (.478), fourth in slugging percentage (.719) and third in OPS (1.197) before being promoted to the major leagues in September. Lux has already been named Baseball America’s Player of the Year.A second-round pick in last year’s draft, Gray was acquired by the Dodgers in December as part of the trade that sent Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig and Alex Wood to the Cincinnati Reds. The 21-year-old right-hander went a combined 11-2 with a 2.70 ERA in 26 games (25 starts) while progressing from Class-A Great Lakes to Class-A Rancho Cucamonga and Double-A Tulsa.UP NEXTRockies (RHP Peter Lambert, 3-6, 6.98 ERA) at Dodgers (LHP Clayton Kershaw, 14-5, 3.05 ERA), Friday, 7:10 p.m., SportsNet LA (where available), ESPN, 570 AM Having spent nine years running the smallest of small-market teams, the Tampa Bay Rays, Friedman has financial resources in L.A. he could only have dreamed of before. There are few markets in MLB that could offer a comparable combination of financial, front office and farm system resources, let alone a stronger one to lure him away.Friedman took over a team that had won back-to-back division titles but was losing traction. After advancing to the NLCS in 2013, the Dodgers were brushed aside in the first round of the 2014 playoffs. The payroll was swollen to unsustainable levels and the farm system was in the early stages of rebirth.Under Friedman, the Dodgers have won five more division titles, back-to-back NL pennants and are about to reach 100 wins for the second time in the past three seasons. The payroll is manageable (no small matter for an ownership group dealing with debt service from the 2012 purchase). The farm system is one of the most productive in baseball, having produced not just the nine rookies currently on the big-league roster but the prospect assets to make significant midseason acquisitions almost annually. Substantial structural changes in the front office have put the Dodgers at the forefront of the use of the sophisticated analytics that rule baseball in the 21st century.This year’s postseason roster is likely to include at least 13 homegrown players, 15 of whom were drafted or acquired during Friedman’s tenure.This is not the product of some five-year plan Friedman instituted when taking over the Dodgers’ front office but a prime directive from day one, Kasten said.“Oh, no. We wanted to be good right away,” he said.“We were going to do as much as we could as fast as we could. Remember – when he came in, we had a really good team and a really good front office, coming off two division wins. We were trying to improve it and those improvements would be put in place as quickly as we could. There was never any 1-year, 2-year, 5-year thinking.”MINOR LEAGUE AWARDSThe Dodgers announced their Branch Rickey Awards for the top minor leaguers in their system this year. Infielder Gavin Lux was named the Minor League Player of the Year and right-hander Josiah Gray the Minor League Pitcher of the Year.Related Articles Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco center_img When a potential free agent of his stature – elite at his position, in the prime of his career – nears the end of his contract, there is usually a great deal of speculation stirred up regarding their future. With Friedman and the Dodgers, however, there has been nary a word – just the way they like it.Friedman would not discuss the topic. Team president and CEO Stan Kasten referred to Friedman’s contract as “a private matter” and steadfastly refused to discuss any aspect of it, citing a long-standing “policy” not to discuss such matters.When asked directly if he expects Friedman to return in his current position with the Dodgers in 2020, however, Kasten did offer a direct answer.“I am completely certain of that. Yes,” he said.Kasten sounds like a man who knows a contract extension will be negotiated and announced soon enough. Friedman is not likely to reach free agency. It is hard to find a reason for either side not to continue the relationship. Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire last_img read more

Premier League’s new five substitute rule, explained: Why teams aren’t restricted to just three changes in 2020

first_imgManchester United, Liverpool and Co. will return to our television screens in June as the Premier League restarts after a three-month coronavirus-enforced hiatus.There will be a couple of small, but notable changes to the game in this brave new post-Covid-19 landscape, including the obvious fact that there will be no supporters at the match in the interests of public health. The game itself of course will largely be the same, but we will now see more substitutions being made in competitive matches due to the five-substitute rule.So what is the rule all about and why has it been introduced? Goal brings you everything you need to know.MORE: Five things to watch as Premier League returnsContentsWhat is the five-substitute rule?When was the five-substitute rule introduced?Why has the five-substitute rule been introduced?Will the five-substitute rule become permanent?What is the five-substitute rule?The ‘five-substitute rule’ is a temporary change to the maximum number of substitutes a team is permitted to make during a game, increasing the number from three to five.In addition, the Premier League has increased the maximum number of substitutes permitted to sit on the bench from seven to nine.However, while the total number of substitutions possible in a game is now 10 instead of six, managers will only be allowed to make changes at three points in the game.The idea behind limiting the number of stoppages for substitutions is to reduce the level of disruption in a match, something that could in theory be exploited.Return to topFor the remainder of the 2019/20 season, Premier League clubs will now be able to make 5️⃣ substitutes instead of 3️⃣The maximum number of substitute players on the bench has been increased from 7️⃣ to 9️⃣Full statement on these temporary rule changes: https://t.co/PKVveZclca pic.twitter.com/9B5PE404wG— Premier League (@premierleague) June 4, 2020When was the five-substitute rule introduced?The IFAB made a temporary amendment to Law 3 of the Laws of the Game in May 2020 following a proposal made by FIFA.In a circular to all national football associations and federations, the IFAB outlined the nature of the change and indicated that competition organisers had discretion regarding whether to apply it or not.Premier League shareholders subsequently agreed to implement the change for the remainder of the 2019-20 season, which resumes in June 2020 and will conclude at the end of July.Return to topWhy has the five-substitute rule been introduced?The five-substitute rule was introduced with player welfare in mind as football resumed in the midst of the 2020 coronavirus pandemic.A three-month lay-off without competitive action, even though players continued to train individually during the hiatus, combined with a lot of games in a short period of time is a risky prospect.Players such as Kevin De Bruyne have expressed concerns about the chances of sustaining injuries when action resumes, while ex-Liverpool physio Andy Renshaw predicts there will be “a ton” of muscle issues.As well as the increased potential for injury, climate was also a consideration in the decision to increase the number of substitutes, with leagues continuing in the height of summer, when temperatures peak.The IFAB and FIFA are fully aware of these associated risks and, accordingly, made the temporary change. The IFAB also stressed existing Laws of the Game which allow for water breaks.”The COVID-19 pandemic has had a far-reaching impact on daily life, including sport, around the world,” the IFAB’s circular to national assocations and federations read. “As many countries begin to emerge from this situation, the focus is slowly turning to the resumption of football competitions that have been affected by the virus.”When competitions resume, matches may be played in a condensed period (e.g. to reduce the impact on future competitions) and in different weather conditions, both of which could have an impact on player welfare.”Return to topWill the five-substitute rule become permanent?The five-substitute rule has initially been introduced as a temporary measure and is ostensibly in place until the end of 2020.FIFA and the IFAB will revisit the rule change at a later stage in order to assess whether its application needs to be extended into 2021. It is entirely possible that the temporary rule change could end up becoming permanent – should it be considered to improve the game – but it is currently only a temporary tweak.Therefore, it is expected that the IFAB will revert the rule to the previous maximum of three substitutes in a game.Return to toplast_img read more