Coutinho in Barcelona to tie up third-richest transfer

first_imgSpanish league leaders Barca host Levante on Sunday at Camp Nou, but Coutinho will not be in the stands.“He will not be attending the match,” a club source told AFP.According to Catalan daily Sport, current La Liga leaders Barca want attention turned solely on the Levante match and not their new recruit, who should be officially presented to media on Monday.The swoop for the 25-year-old attacking midfielder — which contains a 400-million-euro (Sh49.7bn)release clause — is the third biggest transfer in football.It is outranked only by Paris Saint-Germain’s world record 222m-euro (Sh27.6bn) signing of Neymar from Barcelona last year, and PSG’s capture of French striker Kylian Mbappe for a deal that will eventually be worth 180 million euros (Sh22.4bn).Rio-born Coutinho arrived at Liverpool from Inter Milan for a mere £8.5 million (Sh105.6mn) in January 2013 and scored 54 goals for the club in all competitions, although he won no silverware during his five-year stay at Anfield.Barcelona had tried to sign him in the summer and his departure now is a blow to Liverpool as the playmaker has just returned to top form after an injury-hit start to the season, scoring six goals in the last seven games of 2017 to put his side firmly in the Champions League places.“It is with great reluctance that we -– as a team and club –- prepare to say farewell to a good friend, a wonderful person and a fantastic player in Philippe Coutinho,” said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.“It is no secret that Philippe has wanted this move to happen since July, when Barcelona first made their interest known.“Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.”For Barcelona, Coutinho’s signing will allow the club to move on from the bitter experience of losing his Brazil teammate Neymar to Qatar-backed PSG last summer.Coutinho’s age is highly attractive to Barca, whose three main stars, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Andres Iniesta are all in their thirties. Iniesta, at 33, has shown signs of fatigue this season.– ‘What will he gain?’ –French media group beIN Sports reported late Saturday that Liverpool will immediately spend 55 million euros of their windfall on Leicester striker Riyad Mahrez.They claimed Mahrez will have a medical at Liverpool on Sunday before penning a four-year contract.Reports in England though said Liverpool’s main target to replace Coutinho is Monaco forward Thomas Lemar, who Arsenal tried to sign before the season.Coutinho played no role in Liverpool’s 2-1 victory over city rivals Everton in the FA Cup on Friday. Liverpool’s winning goal was scored by Virgil Van Dijk, the Dutch defender they signed last week from Southampton for £75 million, one of the biggest deals in history.Former Liverpool defender Phil Thompson said his old club had probably got the better deal and questioned Coutinho’s decision to join Barca now because he will not be able to play in the Champions League for them this season having already appeared for Liverpool. Both clubs are in the last 16 of the competition.“It’s hard to get my head around what Philippe is going to gain because he can’t play Champions League football for them, they are running away with the league, and he’s got the World Cup at the end of the season,” Thompson said on Sky Sports.“Will he play regularly every week at Barcelona? I’m not too sure. Philippe could have carried on (at Liverpool). He could have been playing in the Champions League.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Philippe Coutinho scored 54 goals for Liverpool in all competitions during his five-year stay at Anfield © AFP/File / Paul ELLISBARCELONA, Spain, Jan 7 – Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho was in Barcelona Sunday to tie up a Sh19.9bn (160-million-euro) move from Liverpool, the third-richest deal of all time.“Bem-vindo! Welcome! Benvingut! ¡Bienvenido!” Barca tweeted to Coutinho along with a waving hand sign and a video showing a shirt bearing his name in a locker.last_img read more

PH Blu Girls rout Korea to open Tokyo Olympic qualifying bid

first_imgMOST READ LATEST STORIES PH Blu Girls. WBSC PHOTOThe Philippine women’s softball team got off to a rousing start in its bid to secure an Olympic berth after whipping Korea, 10-1, Tuesday in the WBSC Softball Asia/Oceania Qualifer at Shanghai Chongming Sports Training Center in China.The Blu Girls drew a huge boost from their US-based players Sierra Lange and Lauren Young in the blowout victory that coach Venerando Dizer quickly downplayed.ADVERTISEMENT The Blu Girls hope to play an even better game in a crucial clash with the Chinese.“China as host will be the biggest stumbling block and we hope to raise our game further and are looking for a favorable result.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba on SEA Games cauldron: ‘Sulit kung corrupt ang panggatong’ View comments DTI creates Marahuyo, a luxe Filipino fashion brand for global buyers P11-B loan for SEA Games hosting not an issue — Cayetano Becoming his own man Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Matteo Guidicelli had saved up for Sarah G’s ring since 2014? San Miguel depth in full display during Terrific 12 showcase Duterte calls himself, Go, Cayetano ‘the brightest stars’ in PH politics PH military destroys thousands of illegal guns, ammo PLAY LIST 01:00PH military destroys thousands of illegal guns, ammo00:54Latest auto creations on display at Tokyo Motor Show00:50Trending Articles02:11Makabayan bloc defends protesting workers, tells Año to ‘shut up’03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon02:07Aquino to Filipinos: Stand up vs abuses before you suffer De Lima’s ordeal01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia00:45Aquino agrees with Drilon on SEA games ‘kaldero’ spending issue This jewelry designer is also an architect “It was close. Only their three errors saw us score five runs in the sixth inning to pull away,” said Dizer on the tournament’s official website.“We are happy with the win but [we] are not getting carried away. It is a good morale booster for our match against China tomorrow (Wednesday) but we have to keep our feet firm on the ground.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGreatest ever?SPORTSBecoming his own manSPORTSFormer PBA import Anthony Grundy passes away at 40Dizer is determined to help the Blu Girls book a ticket to the Tokyo Olympics.“However, like I said earlier, we have come here prepared for the challenge as its is the last chance to make the Tokyo Olympics and we are going for it.” Canadian vaping study details danger from ‘popcorn lung’ chemicallast_img read more