Bipartisan Budget Talks Start out Slow

first_imgBudget talks among House and Senate leadership staff and White House officials have made little headway as they enter their second week.“I believe that we’re nearing a point … that we’re going to have to start making some decisions,” Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Tuesday. So far, the two sides have started discussing possible offsets to pay for higher discretionary spending levels.While little progress has been made, top Democratic appropriators are calling on negotiators to reach agreement on a new topline spending level by early November so they have time to craft an end-of-the-year spending bill by the Dec. 11 expiration date of the current continuing resolution, reports CQ.The overarching goal for Democrats is to strike a deal to raise the Budget Control Act spending caps for fiscal 2016 and 2017 before House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) steps down at the end of the month. With House GOP leadership elections dominating conversation through the end of the month, it’s not clear how much progress can be achieved, though.The negotiations are at the staff level for now, but at some point will involve Republican and Democratic leadership, with appropriators left on the sidelines.“This is being negotiated at the leadership level. This is being done by Harry Reid, [Nancy] Pelosi, [Mitch] McConnell, etcetera. What I’m providing, as is Congresswoman [Lowey], we’re providing technical assistance and advice to our leadership as they negotiate, whether it’s on offsets, the status of touchy subjects in bills and so on,” Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), ranking Democrat on Senate Appropriations, told CQ. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

French Open 2019 Roger Federer vs Stan Wawrinka in quarterfinal Live streaming

first_imgBrunskill/Getty ImagesRoger Federer is going to play the quarter-final of the 2019 French Open against his compatriot and former doubles partner Stan Wawrinka at the Court Suzzane Lenglen, today. The 37-year-old Swiss legend will appear in his 54th quarter-final of a Grand Slam, achieving another piece of history as he matched American great Chris Evert’s record. Federer is playing this tournament after three years of absence.When and where to watch?The action at the Roland Garros starts with Federer’s match slated to begin at 2 PM local time, 12 PM GMT and 5.30 PM IST. In India, live coverage is being provided by Star Sports Select 2 and Star Sports Select 2 HD. Online viewers can stream the matches live on the Hotstar platform.Preview Roger Federer is two wins away from clinching his 100th career title. GLYN KIRK/AFP/Getty ImagesFederer has been in tremendous form throughout this year’s edition of the tournament. He is yet to drop a set in the competition. He defeated Leonardo Mayer 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 in the Round of 16 to march into the quarters. The three years’ absence from Roland Garros doesn’t seem to have affected the 2009 champion as he has been playing quite smoothly. After being doubtful about his own success before the begining of the tournament, he is now among the contenders for winning the title. Stan Wawrinka.Adam Pretty/Getty Images.On the other hand, Wawrinka has had his own problems. He went out of the game with a knee injury that threatened his career after 2017 Wimbledon. As a result, he slipped outside the top 250 and also suffered a first-round defeat at last year’s French Open. But he has made a comeback and is currently ranked 28th. Wawrinka had a tough time beating Stefanos Tsitsipas in his fourth round clash. The final score of the tough contest was 7-6, 5-7, 6-4, 3-6, 8-6.Federer is leading 22-3 in head-to-head between these two Swiss players. The 2009 champion also has beaten Wawrinka in their last six meetings. Interestingly, the latter is the last player who recorded a victory over his compatriot at this Grand Slam, in the 2015 edition. The victory came in straight sets and eventually led to Wawrinka winning the French Open title.Global TV listingsFrance: France TV SportUSA: NBCUnited Kingdom: iTVAustralia: Fox SportsCanada: TSNSpain: EurosportJapan: WowowChina: CCTVlast_img read more

1 billion for Intels 5G business why is Apple crazy about it

first_img Close Apple announced that it will be buying Intel’s cellular modem business for $1 billion. The transaction is expected to close by the last quarter of 2019. The acquisition would include a corporate exchange of about 2,200 employees from Intel with the transfer of IP and equipment to Apple.The envelope to the deal will enclose about 17,000 wireless patents on protocols for cellular standards, modem architecture, and operations. The deal also signs amendments stating that Intel will be allowed to develop modems for PCs, IoT devices and autonomous vehicles. An Intel sign is seen at the Intel Museum in Santa Clara, California on November 4, 2016. / AFP / JOSH EDELSONJOSH EDELSON/AFP/Getty ImagesThe acquisition will allow Apple to build 5G modems for its smartphones rather than depending on Qualcomm for the hardware. The iPhone major though signed the deal with Intel; it will rely on Qualcomm’s hardware until the patent license agreement of six years between the two companies comes to an end.Apple had been using hardware from both, Intel and Qualcomm till last year when they closed a deal with Qualcomm to solely produce cellular modems for their devices. Intel had been struggling since then without any buyer for its products. Apple CEO Tim Cook launches the Apple March 2019 event. Courtesy apple.comApple had been trying to relieve itself from all third-party collaborations and focused on in-house manufacturing of the modems. It has been working on the modem technology for years through its research and development (R&D) centres in San Diego.According to some reports, the iPhone manufacturer will be able to complete its research and development to produce its own modems by 2022. So, there might be good news for the users as the research and development on modems might bring variations in the i-devices. IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/2:55Loaded: 0%0:02Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-2:54?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading …center_img 5 Highlights From 2019 Apple Eventlast_img read more

At least 10 killed in Kabul funeral blast

first_imgAt least 10 killed in Kabul funeral blastAt least 10 people were killed and wounded in explosions that rocked the funeral of an Afghan man who died during protests over the worsening security situation in Kabul, the interior ministry said.“Initial reports show at least 10 casualties,” ministry spokesman Najib Danish told AFP.last_img

Fakhruls motorcade attacked in Thakurgaon

first_imgVandalised car of BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir`s motorcade in Thaukurgaon on Tuesday. Photo: Prothom AloBNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir’s motorcade has come under attack in Thakurgaon’s Begunbari on the way to his village home in Tanarhat. Md Yunus, personal assistant of Fakhrul, told Prothom Alo that some six to seven cars were vandalised on Tuesday afternoon. However, Fakhrul managed to escape the attack unhurt. But, some of the BNP leaders and activists who were with Fakhrul during the attack sustained minor injuries, Yunus added. Vandalised car of BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir`s motorcade in Thaukurgaon on Tuesday. Photo: Prothom AloHe also claimed that Mirza Fakhrul’s motorcade was attacked by ruling Awami League activists led by local Awami League leader and Begunbari union chairman Boni Amin. Earlier, BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia’s press wing member Shairul Kabir Khan confirmed the attack. Vandalised car of BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir`s motorcade in Thaukurgaon on Tuesday. Photo: Prothom AloThakurgaon Sadar police station officer-in-charge Mostafizur Rahman told Prothom Alo that they came to know about the attack and were looking into the matter. Mirza Fakhrul was attending election campaign programmes in his constituency.last_img

Iran fires missiles into Syria over parade attack

first_imgMap Syria. Photo: CollectedIran’s Revolutionary Guards said Monday they had launched a missile attack against a “terrorist” headquarters in Syria in retaliation for a September attack on the Iranian city of Ahvaz.“The headquarters of those responsible for the terrorist crime in Ahvaz was attacked a few minutes ago east of the Euphrates by several ballistic missiles fired by the aerospace branch of the Guardians of the Revolution,” the Guards said on their official website.“Based on preliminary reports, many takfiri terrorists and the leaders responsible for the terrorist crime in Ahvaz have been killed or wounded in this missile attack,” the Guards added.The term “takfiri”, derived from the Arabic word for anathema, is used by the Iranian authorities to refer to Sunni jihadists.The Guards did not say where the missiles were launched from.According to Iran’s Fars news agency, the Guards fired Zolfaghar and Qiam missiles, with a range of 750 kilometres and 800 kilometres (465 and 500 miles), respectively.On 22 September, 24 people were shot dead in an attack at a military parade in Ahvaz in southwest Iran. The Islamic State group, which Iran and its Damascus allies are fighting in Syria, has claimed responsibility for the attack.Iranian president Hassan Rouhani had vowed a “crushing” response in retaliation.last_img read more

6 killed in suicide blast at Afghan wedding

first_imgAn injured man receives treatment at the hospital, after a suicide attack in Jalalabad, Afghanistan on 12 July, 2019. Photo: ReutersAt least six people were killed and 14 wounded Friday when a suicide bomber attacked a wedding ceremony in eastern Afghanistan, an official told AFP.The Islamic State group’s Afghanistan affiliate later claimed responsibility for the bombing in Nangarhar province close to the Pakistan border, where a host of insurgent organisations operate.”This morning at 8:00 am (0330 GMT), a suicide bomber detonated himself at a wedding ceremony … in Pachiragam district,” Attaullah Khogyani, the Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, told AFP.He said six people had been killed and 14 wounded, a change from an earlier toll of five dead and 40 wounded.”All the villagers were gathered for a wedding ceremony,” said witness Saleem Jan, who was himself a guest and who was wounded in the blast.Speaking to AFP from hospital, he described confusion as the bomb exploded and people began running.”I didn’t know what happened,” he said. “When I turned my face I saw dozens of people were wounded, lying on the ground.”Nangarhar regional hospital spokesman Zahir Adil told AFP that two bodies and 11 injured victims had been taken to the hospital in central Nangarhar city.The explosion comes just days after historic talks between Afghan representatives and the Taliban wrapped up as part of a US-led effort to end the war.At the conclusion of the two-day summit in Doha, parties unveiled a joint resolution pledging a “roadmap for peace” in which they sought to reduce civilian casualties to “zero”.Direct talks between US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and the Taliban also took place last week.last_img read more

Md Dermatologist Offers Tips to Avoid Winter Skin Damage

first_imgDry skin occurs throughout the year, however, for many Blacks, it can become increasingly uncomfortable during winter months. Cold temperatures, low humidity, and strong, harsh winds, according to dermatologists, deplete the skin of its natural lipid layer, which would normally help keep the skin from drying out. Black skin, as a result, can become very flaky, dry, and ashy in the winter.“Years ago, Black mothers might use anything from olive oil or cooking grease – later petroleum jelly – to keep skin soft and keep it from cracking, especially if working outdoors,” Rockville dermatologist Candice Drummond told the AFRO. “Some of us still apply the Vaseline, but there are a host of dietary and topical measure to keep the ash away.”To guard against dry skin and lips, Drummond recommends limiting baths or showers to 4-5 minutes, using lukewarm water and using non-drying, mild soap for cleansing. Long showers and baths actually strip the skin of its natural oils. “Many of us like using perfumed soaps or gels, which smell great, but do a fair job of drying out the skin in winter. Even mild soaps can have drying effects, so limit soap use to areas where you are prone to perspire or where dirt readily accumulates (face, hands, feet, underarms and groin area).”Avoid products with alcohol or that can be drying and irritating to the skin like harsh scrubs.Drummond also offered tips of daily moisturizing, being careful, again to avoid heavily perfumed lotions. “Look for lotions that contain humectants (glycerin, hyaluronic acid and urea). When you come out of the shower or bath, immediately apply the moisturizer to your damp skin. This will help to seal the moisture in and provide a protective barrier from the harsh winter environment,” Drummond said.Additionally, Dermatology News offered: Moisturizing the air at home and the office with a humidifier to keep the heating systems from inadvertently drying skin as they heat the area. A low-cost alternative to humidifiers are plants. When watered, plants help diffuse moisture throughout the room. Drummond added that many Black families keep a sauce pan with water in it on top of heating convectors to the same end.Avoid wool clothing next to your skin. Wool often irritates skin, making it itchy in the winter. Instead, wear cotton camisoles, undershirts, or long underwear underneath any wool clothing. Finally, keeping the body well hydrated by drinking ample amounts of water each day is critical to fighting against both dehydration and ash.If suffering from dry, itchy skin in spite of following these skin care tips, Drummond recommends seeing a dermatologist to make sure the condition is not from allergies or a skin condition like psoriasis or eczema.last_img read more

Prince Georges Preps for Back to School

first_imgBy Micha Green, AFRO Washington, D.C. Editor, mgreen@afro.comPrince George’s County is gearing up to send students back to school in style and prepared for a year of success, through discounts and programming for the whole family to appreciate.Maryland’s Tax-Free Week kicked off August 11, according to WJLA, and ends on Saturday, August 17.  The week is used for parents, guardians and students alike, to do some shopping in preparation for school.  Clothing items under $100 are exempt from Maryland’s six percent tax. Backpacks under $40 are also exempt.Prince George’s County has been gearing up on September 3. (Courtesy Photo)Prince George’s County itself has a lot of special programming to encourage positivity, ease and preparedness during the back-to-school frenzy.On August 12, the District of Columbia, Mid-Atlantic Aid to Humanity hosted an event along with the Felix Manalo Foundation free school supplies, gently used shoes and clothing, canned goods, services such as health check-ups, and even food, entertainment and a moon bounce.  The event was held at Temple Hills Chapel.In addition, Prince George’s County Public Schools is heavily promoting the Back-to-School Block Party at the Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex in Landover on August 17.  Thousands are expected to come out to the Sports and Learning Complex from 8:45 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for hours of entertainment and engaging resources, including a ribbon cutting (8:45 a.m.), school and County information, vendors, free vision and dental screenings for children, and video game trucks.  In addition, parents were able to register for a backpack giveaway. “So this is our unofficial kickoff to the opening of school,” Prince George’s CEO Dr. Monica Goldson told WJLA. “And it’s our opportunity to give our students backpacks, school supplies, just to get them ready for the opening of school.  It’s also an opportunity for them to come together with other classmates and just have fun. We will have free dental screenings, along with providing them backpacks and supplies,” Goldson added.Attendees are even in for a surprise.  “We have a special guest coming to do some music for our students and parents,” Goldson said. “It’s a secret now, you have to come to the Block Party.”Students begin school in Prince George’s County Public Schools on September 3.last_img read more

CPIM MLA joins TMC

first_imgIn a jolt to the CPI(M) ahead of next year’s Assembly polls, CPI(M) MLA from Khandaghosh on Thursday joined the TMC accusing its leadership of failing to reach out to the masses.Nabin Chandra Bag along with other CPI(M) leaders from Bardhaman district joined the TMC in the presence of senior ruling party leaders Partha Chatterjee and Arup Biswas.“He has decided to join the TMC to become part of the developmental work ushered in by our party leader Mamata Banerjee,” Chatterjee said.Bag said he was unhappy with the CPI(M)leadership as the party had completely lost touch with the masses.The CPI(M) leadership is yet to officially react to the development.last_img read more

Gold biscuits worth Rs 53 lakh seized from Bongaon 1 arrested

first_imgKolkata: Senior officials of the Customs along with the police seized gold biscuits worth nearly Rs 53 lakh from Bongaon in North 24-Parganas on Friday night. One person has been arrested in this connection so far. The accused, Suman Mondal, a resident of Boyalda village in Bongaon, had been carrying a bag containing the gold biscuits. Acting on a tip-off, the Customs officials conducted raids and arrested him from Choruigachi area for his alleged involvement in a gold smuggling racket. The accused was later handed over to the police by Customs officials for further investigation. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeAccording to the preliminary investigation, the police and Customs officials suspect that the accused might be a part of an international gold smuggling racket. There are others involved in the racket as well, police suspect. According to the cops, as many as 14 gold biscuits were found in his possession weighing around 600 grams. It may be mentioned that the police and Customs have intercepted a number of youths in the district in the past few months and seized gold from them. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedA probe is being conducted to ascertain if there are any connections between all the incidents. The district police have also intensified the surveillance in the bordering areas of Bongaon. The preliminary investigation suggests that the accused changed route following some recent incidents in which smugglers bringing gold bars and biscuits from abroad were intercepted at Kolkata airport. The accused then began smuggling gold along the India-Bangladesh border in certain districts. As there was stringent surveillance in all the airports these days, it has become difficult for the smugglers to bring in gold from abroad.last_img read more