APTN National NewsAPTN National News‘ political panel tackles the crisis in Attawapiskat.
In yet another sign of a conflict of interest between trade unions and corporates, Vishwa Kalyan Kamagar Sanghatana (VKS) — the trade union representing the workers of Bajaj Auto — on Wednesday, January 4, threatened to go on a two-day strike at Akurdi plant in Pune starting January 7 to protest against, what the union said, “anti-worker activities” of the Bajaj Auto management.Royal Enfield two-wheeler sales rise in December; Bajaj Auto posts fallThe union said in a letter to Bajaj Auto Managing Director Rajiv Bajaj: “It will undertake a hunger strike at the Shahid Datta Padale statue, opposite Bajaj Auto gate, Akurdi, on 7-8 January against anti-workers and anti-union activities of the Bajaj management.”The union demanded that eight workers fired two years back apparently on the charges of serious misconduct be reinstated. Further, it also alleged that active members were deliberately transferred and were given false charge sheets and show-cause letters by the company management.”The management is harassing our active members. They are issuing show-cause notices and even transferring workers. Besides, the issue of eight dismissed workers is yet to be settled,” Vishwa Kalyan Kamgar Sanghatana president Dilip Pawar told PTI.Additionally, Pawar said the workers are also dissatisfied because the wage-review process, which was due effective April 1, 2016, is yet to be finalised.In response, Baja Auto Executive Director Pradeep Shrivastava refused to discuss and take back the issue of dismissed workers. He said: “Only wages can be discussed.” In October 2016, the two-wheeler maker had offered workers a hike ranging from Rs 10,000 to Rs 11,500 to be paid over three years in three instalments. Shrivastava added that 100 per cent of the workers had accepted that offer.Production at the plant will not be affected by this call for a hunger strike, he said.At around 10:20 am on Thursday, January 5, Bajaj Auto stock was trading at Rs 2693 on the NSE. Most recently, the automaker launched the Pulsar 400, which is expected to rival Royal Enfield.In 2016, the stock has given a return of 8.08 per cent. Almost 10 mutual fund houses have invested in the stock, according to brokerage IIFL.
Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly enjoyed some great success together during their playing days. ReutersFormer Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly took to twitter and slammed the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) after they sent a conflict of interest notice to former cricketer Rahul Dravid. Ganguly stated that this new fashion of Indian cricket can hamper its future.”New fashion in indian cricket …..conflict of interest ….Best way to remain in news …god help indian cricket ……Dravid Gets Conflict of Interest Notice from BCCI,” his tweet read.Indian spinning legend Harbajhan Singh also criticised BCCI for these kinds of actions. He also mentioned that sending notices to these legends is like insulting them.”Really ?? Don’t know where it’s heading to.. u can’t get better person than him for Indian cricket. Sending notice to these legends is like insulting them.. cricket need their services for betterment. Yes god save indian cricket,” his tweet read. File photo of India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh.MAL FAIRCLOUGH/AFP/Getty ImagesRahul Dravid is currently the head of National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore. He got a notice from BCCI’s Ombudsman-cum-Ethics Officer Justice (Retd) DK Jain as a complaint was filed against the former claiming that Dravid, who is the NCA director currently, is also the vice-president of India Cements group. The complainant is a Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA) life member Sanjeev Gupta. He had earlier complained against the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman.A senior BCCI official on August 7 confirmed that Dravid has been sent a notice, according to IANS.”Yes, Dravid had been sent a notice by Jain last week and has two weeks to reply to the notice,” the official told IANS.But according to reports Dravid and India Cements had mutually decided to stall their association till the time the 46-year-old is the director of NCA.Because of this issue of the BCCI, many former players are refraining from applying for the posts at NCA. The Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) members had to declare about any conflict before their appointment took place.
Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailMotorists are being warned of major roadworks this week as work begins on a major roundabout. The Aston roundabout on the A34, near to the junction with the A51 in Stone, is to undergo major works starting on Tuesday, August 28. The initial work will replace kerbs and improve the footways and drains and is expected to last for a month. Then from October 1, road resurfacing will take place, with full closures being put in place on Brooms Road and the A51 each night from 8pm to 6am. Read MoreCould motorists in North Staffordshire soon be fined for driving 1mph above the speed limit? This phase of the scheme is due to end on November 2. Staffordshire County Council’s cabinet member for highways and transport Helen Fisher said: “The Aston roundabout on the A34 is a busy junction and so this is an important improvement scheme. “Initial works will see kerbs replaced and improvements to drains and footways. Read MoreBeen on the A500? Well police have caught 100 drivers ignoring the speed limit today! “The main resurfacing works will take place at night in October so we’d ask people to bear this in mind and choose alternative routes if travelling into Stone on the A51 during these times. “Work has been scheduled for night times to minimise disruption, but we’d like to thanks people for their patience during the works period.” Want to keep up to date with the latest traffic and travel news?Each day Stoke-on-Trent Live journalists bring you the latest news on the roads and railways across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire, South Cheshire and further afield to help keep you on the move. For the very latest updates on roads including the M6, A500, A50 and more, visit our dedicated traffic and travel news channel here. We also run a live news feed each weekday, which you can access on our website’s homepage from 7am to 9pm from Monday to Friday. And for more as-we-get-it updates on the roads across the region and beyond, join The Sentinel’s traffic and travel Facebook group here. For more information visit www.roadworks.org
At the ongoing KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America 2018, NeuVector has upgraded their line of container network security with the release of containerd and CRI-O run-time support. Attendees of the conference are invited to learn how customers use NeuVector and get 1:1 demos of the platform’s new capabilities. Containerd is a Cloud Native Computing Foundation incubating project. It’s basically a container run-time built to emphasize simplicity, robustness, and portability while managing the complete container lifecycle of its host system. This includes managing the lifecycle of its host system, from image transfer and storage to container execution and supervision to low-level storage to network attachments and more. NeuVector is testing the containerd version on the latest IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service version, which uses the containerd run-time. CRI-O is an implementation of the Kubernetes container run-time interface enabling OCI compatible run-times. It is a lightweight alternative to Docker as a run-time for Kubernetes. CRI-O is made up of several components including: OCI compatible runtime containers/storage containers/image networking (CNI) container monitoring (common) security is provided by several core Linux capabilities With this newly added support, organizations using containerd or CRI-O can deploy NeuVector to secure their container environments. Read Next Stripe open sources ‘Skycfg’, a configuration builder for Kubernetes. Kubernetes 1.13 released with new features and fixes to a major security flaw Introducing ‘Pivotal Function Service’ (alpha): an open, Kubernetes based, multi-cloud serverless framework for developer workloads
January 8, 2003Archive intern Malcolm Sutherland gathered these images of ancient petroglyphs during a hike in the desert surrounding Arcosanti. [Photos: Malcolm Sutherland & text: sa]
25Jun Rep. Lower introduces proposal to protect water quality across Michigan State Rep. Jim Lower of Greenville today introduced a plan to modify the state’s emergency manager law, replacing the single person emergency management structure with a three-person Financial Management Team.The plan is part of a larger reform package addressing the safety and security of Michigan’s drinking water supply.“This proposal to update the state’s emergency manager law is an important part of a bipartisan effort to keep our state’s drinking water and recreational waterways safe for Michigan families for generations to come,” said Lower who chairs the House Committee on Local Government and Municipal Finance. “Michigan families deserve to know the fresh water that defines this great state is safe to drink, bathe in and fish in. This plan helps ensure that government is held accountable to manage public water resources well with a more open and transparent three-person committee.”The bill put forward by Lower builds on the recommendations from a 2016 legislative committee and replaces the single-person emergency management structure with a three-person committee made up of one financial expert, one local government operations expert and one local ombudsman.Lower, who was first elected to the Michigan House in 2016, has been a leader on improving municipal finance since coming into office. He spearheaded a plan to help local governments better manage their finances in 2017.In addition to Lower’s plan— House Bills 4753-4755— the entire, 30-bill reform proposal looks at water quality across the board: from improving municipal safeguards and oversight to tightening up environmental protection and conservation.Ensuring safe drinking water has become a top concern across the state due to the condition of our state’s water infrastructure systems and the detection of PFAS contamination at more than 1,100 sites, Lower noted.House Bills 4753-4755 has been referred to the House Committee on Government Operations. Categories: Lower News
The BBC has unveiled its first ever virtual reality comedy film – a VR spin-off of BBC Three series People Just Do Nothing.The five-minute VR film puts the viewer at the centre of a scene featuring the characters of the comedy series, which focuses on fictitious pirate radio station Kurupt FM.In the VR film the viewer is a record company boss who has been kidnapped by Kurupt FM’s MC Grindah, DJ Beats and Chabuddy G. The crew are trying to convince you to sign them to your record label.The film was produced by Roughcut TV and BBC VR Hub and was released ahead of the launch of the fifth and final series of People Just Do Nothing on November 12.“This hilarious short film is a great example of how fun VR can be,” said Zillah Watson, head of BBC VR Hub.“So far we’ve launched BBC VR experiences that have taken us into space, up in a bomber during the Second World War, to Russia for the World Cup, and now finally to a flat in Brentford. We’re making people laugh – which is quite hard in a VR headset – and showing that VR can work in any genre.”The People Just Do Nothing VR experience is available on the BBC VR app for the Oculus Go and Samsung Gear VR. Series five of the show airs on BBC Two and is available online on the BBC Three section of the iPlayer. Previous seasons of People Just Do Nothing are also available again on the iPlayer as box sets as of this week.