Plenty of work ahead for Perdue

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest On April 25, George “Sonny” Perdue was sworn in as the 31st Secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and he has plenty of work ahead of him.“I am hopeful about USDA. As I meet employees…across USDA it gives me a spirit of optimism that this agency is in good hands and we’ll be well served as we serve not only our producers, our shareholders the taxpayers, but also the consumers who depend on us for a safe food supply,” Perdue said soon after the confirmation. “I am excited to be on the job.”At the top of the agenda is moving forward with the priorities of the Trump Administration.“It has been a great honor and opportunity to work for a president who keeps his promises,” Perdue said. “Rolling back some of the onerous regulations that agriculturalists faced was very important and he’s done that. He’s trying to get a handle on the debt situation as well, really creating a spirit of optimism and hopefulness in this nation that we needed.”Perdue will be facing some tough decisions ahead with a more than 20% budget cut for USDA proposed by the Trump Administration.“I am prepared to defend that budget, although I would prefer it not be that way. But as an American facing a $20 trillion debt with 14 grandchildren, I don’t think it’s my moral responsibility to kick that debt to those 14 grandchildren. So I’m happy. I think that is what [President Trump] talked about in the campaign about fiscal conservatism to get things under control,” Perdue said. “Now a 20% or 21% cut in agriculture, that’s tough, but I governed from 2003 to 2011, which were not the best economic times in America. We devolved about 20% of the budget in that time. We did more with less. That is what we are going to do. We have to get this deficit under control.”Perdue said his policies as U.S. Secretary of Agriculture will be guided by four principles. First, he will maximize the ability of the men and women of America’s agriculture and agribusiness sector to create jobs, to produce and sell the foods and fiber that feed and clothe the world, and to reap the earned reward of their labor.Second, he will prioritize customer service every day for American taxpayers and consumers. Third, as Americans expect a safe and secure food supply, USDA will continue to serve in the critical role of ensuring the food we put on the table to feed our families meets the strict safety standards we’ve established. And fourth, Perdue will always remember that America’s agricultural bounty comes directly from the land.last_img read more

Ohio well-represented in National Soil Judging Contest

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Several Ohio FFA chapters had a busy schedule last week with the National Land and Range Judging Contest in Oklahoma where 600 4-H and FFA members gathered.Austin Wood of the Northwestern-Wayne FFA Chapter said it was a busy one, competing in the OK state before quickly flying back for the last day of the 89th Ohio FFA Convention on Friday.“Our team placed fifth at state which qualified us to go out there,” Wood said. “We signed in Tuesday morning and we went out and did six pits. That was really cool. The red dirt is completely different than what we do here in Ohio, but a lot of the textures and stuff are the same. The following day, we went out and did two more pits then Thursday was the actual contest.“We each just went there more as a fun thing for us to do. It was our first year doing this and to me it was just an amazing experience being able to go out and represent our chapter in a national contest.”Other teams from Ohio included the Buckeye Central FFA, taking 4th place overall. Tallawanda placed 19th, Centerville in 38th, Northwestern-Wayne at 46th place, and right behind them the McClain FFA Chapter in 47th.last_img read more

Intel acquires driver assistance firm Mobileye for $15 billion

first_imgTags:#AI#artificial intelligence#autonomous cars#driver assistance#Intel#Mobileye#Self-Driving Break the Mold with Real-World Logistics AI and… For Self-Driving Systems, Infrastructure and In… Related Posts David Currycenter_img Chip giant Intel announced on Monday that it has acquired Mobileye for $15.3 billion, in an effort to remain a dominant player in the self-driving industry.Mobileye is one of the largest providers of driver assistance and collision prevention systems. It also started work on a camera, radar, and sensor system for self-driving vehicles, in cooperation with global auto-parts supplier Delphi.See Also: Ford spends billions to meet ambitious self-driving goalIntel will move its automotive headquarters to Israel, where Mobileye is based.“This acquisition is a great step forward for our shareholders, the automotive industry and consumers,” said Brian Krzanich, Intel CEO, in a statement. “Intel provides critical foundational technologies for autonomous driving including plotting the car’s path and making real-time driving decisions. Mobileye brings the industry’s best automotive-grade computer vision and strong momentum with automakers and suppliers. Together, we can accelerate the future of autonomous driving with improved performance in a cloud-to-car solution at a lower cost for automakers.”The two companies have already partnered with BMW to build the iNext, the automaker’s first self-driving vehicle. It is expected to launch in 2021, Intel will fit the processing power and Mobileye will supply all of the sensors and software.“We expect the growth towards autonomous driving to be transformative. It will provide consumers with safer, more flexible, and less costly transportation options, and provide incremental business model opportunities for our automaker customers,” Ziv Aviram, Mobileye co-founder, president and CEO, added.It is the largest Israeli tech acquisition ever, almost fifteen times larger than Google’s acquisition of Waze for $1.1 billion. Intel expects a $70 billion opportunity in the vehicle systems, data, and services market. IT Trends of the Future That Are Worth Paying A… 5 Ways IoT can Help to Reduce Automatic Vehicle…last_img read more

League owner saddened as Chooks to Go players left off SEA Games 3×3 roster

first_imgChooks to Go Pilipinas 3X3 has 49 of the top 50 players in the Philippines and nearly 90 of the best 100 in the country including Joshua Munzon and Alvin Pasaol. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next This jewelry designer is also an architect Canadian vaping study details danger from ‘popcorn lung’ chemical Duterte calls himself, Go, Cayetano ‘the brightest stars’ in PH politics Becoming his own man Ethel Booba on SEA Games cauldron: ‘Sulit kung corrupt ang panggatong’ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games MOST READ View comments P11-B loan for SEA Games hosting not an issue — Cayetanocenter_img The Philippines are the no.21 in the Fiba 3X3 Men’s World Rankings and it has to told that spot until Oct. 31 to qualify for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.“This should not distract us from our ultimate objective, which is to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics,” said Mascariñas.“We respect the decision of the SBP and will continue to wholeheartedly support their basketball program.”ADVERTISEMENT Matteo Guidicelli had saved up for Sarah G’s ring since 2014? The top teams in the league have also represented the Philippines in international competitions including tournaments in Russia, China, and France.Mascariñas, though, remained focused on their ultimate goal of helping the country qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. DTI creates Marahuyo, a luxe Filipino fashion brand for global buyers Kiefer Ravena not questioning Tim Cone’s decision on SEA Games snub MANILA, Philippines—Chooks to Go Pilipinas 3X3 league owner Ronald Mascariñas was saddened by Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas’ decision to field an all-PBA team for 3X3 event in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games instead of players who have already been playing in the circuit.Mascariñas said he was disappointed with the Philippine team selection that left out players from Chooks-to-Go’s 3×3 dedicated leagues who have greatly helped expand the sport in the Philippines.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “Personally, I’m sad for the players because I know they were expecting to represent the country and they’ve sacrificed a lot for this sport. It’s their pride and honor to serve their country,” said Mascariñas.READ: SBP takes advantage of PBA ‘opening its doors’ with all-pro 3×3 SEA Games poolFEATURED STORIESSPORTSGreatest ever?SPORTSBecoming his own manSPORTSFormer PBA import Anthony Grundy passes away at 40last_img read more

20 Medals Now For Michael Phelps Including Another Gold

A London Olympics that started with a whimper for Michael Phelps has been a big bang ever since, including Thursday, when he increased his most medals record to 20 by besting American rival Ryan Lochte in the 200-meter individual medley.Lochte said these Games were “my time” after he opened by winning the gold medal in the 400 individual medley. He also said Phelps, who finished fourth in that event, would come back more determined than ever.Lochte was wrong about the first, right about the second.Phelps earned his 16th gold medal by handled the field in a time of 1 minute, 54.27 seconds, just off his winning time in Beijing. The silver went to Lochte and Hungary’s Laszlo Cseh took the bronze.So his final Olympics that looked bleak at the start look golden now. He was not as dominant as he was four years ago in Beijing. But his medal count this year rests at two golds and two silvers in five races – and he still has two more events to go.In fact, as soon as Phelps finished off Lochte, he hopped out of the pool and headed to the nearby diving well to warm down, knowing he still had a semifinal of the 100 butterfly before the night was done.Lochte had gone through the same routine just a few minutes earlier, trying to pull off an impressive double 31 minutes apart. He came up short in both races, fading to bronze in the 200 backstroke behind fellow American Tyler Clary, then touching after Phelps in the medley.Phelps’ reaction wasn’t a water-pounding celebration, just look of relief. He seemed to be soaking it all in, relishing a gold of his own in London with his previous victory coming in the 4×200 freestyle relay.Lochte shook hands with his rival before crawling out of the pool for the last time at these Games. In a symbolic gesture, he tossed his cap and goggles into the crowd, his work done. His final tally: two golds, two silvers, one bronze and a fourth-place finish — impressive, but undoubtedly shy of what he had predicted would be “my time.” read more

Two teens get a break caught stealing

first_img Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, October 13, 2016 – Two very young men, an 18 year old and a 19 year old caught a really lucky break as they were shown leniency by the judge after being caught red handed trying to break into an apartment on Leeward Highway and after being found with stolen goods from another burglary in Turtle Tail, which happened just days before.     Haitian Government makes major donation to Turks and Caicos, 630 generators among supplies Related Items:#, #teenageburglarersgivenleniencybyjudge, #teenscaughtstealing Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppcenter_img Devante Brisco, 18 and Benjamin Cox who is 19 did not fight the charges and pleaded guilty to the thefts which happened in September.  They were given a two year suspended sentence for attempted burglary and handling stolen goods. Boyfriend protects woman from gunshots in Provo shooting; ‘critical’ in hospital Prime Minister breaks ground for Darliston Serviced Lots Developmentlast_img read more

Heavy rain in Provo

first_img Related Items:magneticmedia Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp TCI: Man safe now, says he was trapped after lightning hit truck and it burst into flames T&T companies tap into Cuban market at Expo Caribe 2019 Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, May 8th 2017 – Providenciales – Due to the heavy rain fall in Providenciales as well as other islands, Environmental Health Director (EHD), Kenrick Neely is advising all residents on the Turks and Caicos islands to take all necessary precautions in eliminating mosquito breathing sites on their properties. The Turks and Caicos Islands have been experiencing continual rainfall over the past weekend and into this week.The director says residents should ensure that all containers used to store water be properly disposed. Also, he is advising persons that any kind oil can be used to treat breathing areas in yards. All boat owners are also strongly advised to turn down their boats and take the plugs out of boats to allow water to drain. Water buckets and drums used to store water should also be properly sealed.  For additional concerns or questions persons can contact the Environmental Health Department at 338 2142-43 and 44. For those on North and Middle Caicos you can contact 946 7235.Story By Kay-Marie Fletcher #MagneticMediaNews #Metoo-movement-type complaint, now investigation of high-ranking TCI Police Officer openedlast_img read more

India reckons revived reforms for failing economy

first_imgNew Delhi, Sep 20 (ANI): The tapering trends in Indian economy urgently demands deepening of economic reforms so as to stabilise the dwindling economy of the country. India___s Finance Secretary Arvind Mayaram stated this while interacting with the mediapersons in New Delhi. Earlier on Wednesday (September 18) the US Federal Reserve announced that it will continue with its monthly $85 billion bond buying programme and wait for more evidence of growth recovery. He also assured that the Indian government is working for the growth recovery and normalisation of the Indian currency.last_img read more