Bundesliga: Ex-Man City striker takes over at strugglers Fortuna

first_img Promoted ContentCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Thailand’s 10 Most Iconic Landmarks6 Best 90’s Action Movies From Your Childhood10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without Recharging8 Fascinating Facts About Coffee2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year Former Manchester City striker Uwe Roesler has been appointed as the new coach of struggling Fortuna Duesseldorf in place of the sacked Friedhelm Funkel, the German Bundesliga outfit announced on Wednesday.Advertisement Loading… center_img The 51-year-old Roesler recently left Malmo after a year and a half in charge of the Swedish club, and will now try to lead Fortuna clear of the Bundesliga relegation zone.They are currently bottom of the table, three points adrift of outright safety, with Funkel’s final game in charge ending in a 3-0 defeat at Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday.The veteran Funkel had been in charge since 2016. Aged 66, he announced his retirement from management following the sacking.“My coaching career is over. I don’t know Uwe personally, but he takes over a team which is 100 percent intact. I wish him all the best and hope that he quickly settles with the team,” said Funkel, according to SID, an AFP subsidiary.Funkel’s sacking came just a day after he was given a prize for coach of the year by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.“We have scored just 18 goals this season, statistically we are the weakest team in attack, and one of the weakest in defence, in the Bundesliga,” said sporting director Lutz Pfannenstiel.“As a result, we no longer believe we can stay up if things stay as they are. We had to react.”Former Manchester City striker Uwe Roesler’s last coaching job was at Swedish club MalmoRead Also: Bundesliga: Bottom side Fortuna sack ‘;coach of the year’ FunkelRoesler has spent most of his career outside of Germany since joining City in 1994.He became a cult hero there and has since spent several years managing in the English lower leagues, having spells at Brentford, Wigan Athletic, Leeds United and Fleetwood Town.His first game in charge will be on Saturday at home to Eintracht Frankfurt, who shocked league leaders RB Leipzig last weekend.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Bulldogs Battle Knights In Middle School Football

first_imgBatesville’s 7th Grade Football team lost to South Dearborn 14 – 0.The offense moved the ball but could not get it into the end zone. Austin Pohlman had an interception and played well on both sides of the ball. Jayden Peetz, RJ Powell, and Connor Roleson were also leaders on defense.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Tony Gausman.last_img

Bolt reports for first day of work as Digicel’s new CSO

first_imgHIS flashy gold Nissan appeared at the gate a few minutes to midday. And shortly afterwards there was a huge uproar from the mammoth crowd, as Digicel’s new Chief Speed Officer (CSO) Usain Bolt arrived for his new job at Digicel on Monday.Dapperly dressed in his black suit and red tie, the now-retired Olympic Games three-time triple gold medallist was greeted by Digicel’s CEO David Butler, accompanied by the music of Alkaline’s Champion Boy in the background.With the sweltering heat soaring at approximately 90 degrees Fahrenheit, Bolt looked as cool as ever, as he buttoned up his jacket and sported his dark glasses.You could hear flashes from the hundreds of cellular phone cameras amidst the much louder shutter sound of the high and powerful cameras from journalists.Bolt returned to his car and skilfully reversed into his allocated parking spot before making his way through the thick crowd to his work area – the Usain Bolt Speed Lab – where he was met by John Suranyi, the chief executive officer for Digicel Play with responsibility for growth in the areas of cable TV and broadband across all of Digicel’s Caribbean markets.Bolt was shown his work area where he is expected to make things faster for Digicel customers using their various products.“We love to start working at 07:30 in the morning,” said Butler to Bolt jokingly. “Will that be an issue?” he asked. “Probably,” Bolt replied. “We will work out something.”“This man has a unique understanding of speed around the world and we are hoping that some of that can rub off on us in terms of our customers, our network, our products, our marketing,” added Butler.“We are absolutely thrilled and you can see how excited we are today. We are really proud to be associated with you (Bolt) for so long,” he added.“Brand new job, I am ready, ready,” said Bolt before he was handed his worker’s identity badge.“It’s all about speed. I am here to make sure everything runs smoothly, but fast,” said Bolt.He then made his way to the huge customer care department which hosts over 200 agents. He was given a first-hand experience of interacting with the agents and of course a customer, who was lucky enough to be given free credit by Bolt for his troubles.(Extracted from Jamaica Observer)last_img read more

Guyana through to finals after 40-point win

first_imgTHE new look Guyana National team is already tasting the fruits of success after making it through to the finals of the inaugural Mega Mart / SDF JamRockerz Classics. The team was matched up against Jamaica’s U-21 and finished the game 71-31.The first half was the better half for the Guyana side which finished with 40 at half-time. The second half saw a 9-point dip in scoring as the Guyana side scored 31 points in the final half.For the GT boys 11 of the 12 players found the bottom of the net in the blowout performance. It was Akeem Kanhai who topscored with 19 points to go with 4 assists, 3 steals and 7 rebounds in the game. Shane Webster was the next highest scorer with 10 points. He also had 7 rebounds.The team will play the finals today at 21:00hrs local time.last_img read more

Young Windies crash to 26-run defeat in second ODI

first_imgMARONDERA, Zimbabwe (CMC) – A batting meltdown cost West Indies Under-19s another morale-boosting series win as they crashed to a 26-run defeat to Zimbabwe Under-19s in the second Youth One-Day International of the three-match series here yesterday.Chasing a modest 237 for victory, the Caribbean side were well placed at 155 for four in the 34th over but lost their last six wickets for 55 runs, to collapse to 210 all out in the 45th at Peterhouse School.Opener Keagan Simmons top-scored with 49 while Alick Athanaze got 46. Matthew Patrick and Bhaskar Yadram scored 42 apiece.But they all perished after seemingly well set and no other Young Windies batsman managed to make it into double figures.Seamer Dion Mazhawidza was the best bowler with three for 44 while off-spinner Taun Harrison finished with two for 34.Zimbabwe had earlier raised 236 for nine off their 50 overs with Ryan Murray stroking 59, Dion Myers hitting 45 and Wesley Madhevere, 38.Sent in, Zimbabwe were stumbling at 64 for three in the 12th over before Murray and Myers came together to add 78 for the fourth wicket.Murray faced 81 balls and counted eight fours while Myers struck five boundaries in a 90-ball knock.When they were separated, Myers found an ally in Madhevere – who produced a breezy 39-ball innings with three fours – to post a handsome 39 for the next wicket.Left-arm seamer Javier Spencer picked up four for 35 while pacer Nyeem Young claimed two for 64.The Young Windies had a terrible start to their run chase, losing Joshua Persaud (0) and captain Emmanuel Stewart (2) inside the first two overs to slump to eight for two.However, Simmons anchored two successive stands to revive the innings and put the Windies back on course for victory.He added 66 for the third wicket with the in-form Yadram, who struck four fours and a six off 56 deliveries, before posting another 45 for the fourth wicket with Athanaze who faced 60 balls and counted six fours.Simmons was fourth out in the 25th over after facing 63 deliveries and hitting six fours but Athanaze and Patrick added a further 36 for the fifth wicket to keep the run chase alive.Zimbabwe struck two key blows when they claimed Athanaze and Jeavor Royal (0) three balls part in the 34th over with no runs added to leave the Windies struggling on 155 for six and even though Patrick and Joshua Bishop (9) added 39 for the seventh wicket, the tourists ran out of steam as the last four wickets perished for 16 runs.The final game is set for Saturday in Harare.last_img read more

DCB Inter-association U-17 cricket

first_imgEast Coast defend 168 to win titleEAST Coast played unbeaten throughout to win the Demerara Cricket Board (DCB Inter-association Under-17 title yesterday at Lusignan.Yesterday’s final-round win against East Bank by 54 runs, was the third consecutive one for the East Coast side.They managed to defend 168 with ease. Reynaldo Mohamed was most instrumental in bowling out their opponents for just 114, collecting 4-17 while Rudranauth Kission, Ajay Gainda and Edmond Pearson took a wicket a piece.After deciding to bowl first, East Bank bowlers used the conditions well much to the delight of their skipper and produced a disciplined effort to limit the East Coast side to 168-5.For the hosts, Chetram Balgobin top-scored with a brutal 57, inclusive of four fours and five sixes. On a slow Lusignan track Elnathan Sukhnandan, Matthew Nandu and Jafar Pinder, proved to be handy with figures of 2-19, 2-19 and 2-41 respectively.East Coast lost openers Mark Sukhai (6) and Mohamed (12), at 47-2. However, Romel Datterdeen (25) and Chanderpaul Ramraj (21), then added 33 for the third-wicket before a middle-order batting collapse saw the hosts lose four quick wickets for just 26 runs.At that point the left-handed Balgobin single-handedly took control of the scoring until his dismissal. He added 51 for the sixth-wicket with Kissoon, who remained unbeaten on 13.East Bank then suffered two early setbacks which eventually crippled their run chase. They lost Rahul Singh and Mavendra Dindyal without scoring. Nandu and Thaddeus Lovell then added 44 for the third-wicket but after the partnership was broken, the innings went downhill.Nandu top-scored with a well-composed 54 and was supported by Rivaldo Phillips who chipped in with 21. Lovell made 10 in a disappointing batting display.Meanwhile, at Wales, Georgetown whipped West Demerara by 121 runs.The City team made 161-5 from a reduced 39 overs due to rain. Brandon Jaikaran top-scored with 50, Zechariah Mootoo scored 34 not out while Niran Bissu hit 29. Bowling for West Demerara, Daniel Roberts took 2-25 and Nityanand Mathura 2-27.In reply, West Demerara struggled to reach their target and fell for a meagre 40 from just 21.2 overs. Andre Seepersaud was the only batsman to reach a double figure, with 12. Daniel Mootoo was the most destructive bowler grabbing 4-9 while support was gained from Joel Gilkes who took 3-9.last_img read more

Warrant reportedly issued for former SU defensive end Markus Pierce-Brewster

first_img Published on September 15, 2015 at 5:00 pm Contact Paul: pmschwed@syr.edu | @pschweds A warrant for former Syracuse defensive end Markus Pierce-Brewster was issued on Tuesday, according to Syracuse.com.Pierce-Brewster was repeatedly called into court by State Supreme Court Justice John Brunetti to complete his plea deal for a burglary case that would have saved him from jail time. But after not showing up several times, Brunetti issued the warrant.He and former defensive tackle Davon Walls were arrested in February 2013 and charged with second-degree burglary and petit larceny after allegedly burglarizing an apartment on the 400 block of Winding Ridge Road. According to court documents they were accused of stealing a television, an Xbox and other electronics.Pierce-Brewster and Walls were suspended from the team for a violation of team rules following the arrest and both admitted to the crime. Both were placed on probation.In order to complete the probation period, though, Pierce-Brewster had to return to court to provide a DNA sample, which he hasn’t done.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHe finished his college career at West Texas A&M and failed to make an NFL roster this past year after trying out with the New Orleans Saints. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Trojans to play ASU in playoffs

first_imgAfter a dominant win over Arizona State University on Saturday, the USC women’s lacrosse team, ranked third in the Pac-12, will travel to Prentup Field in Boulder, Colo., to face off — for their second game in a row — against the Sun Devils in the inaugural Pac-12 Tournament on Thursday. The Trojans hope to continue their success against the sixth-seeded Sun Devils with another commanding victory.Senior goalie Gussie Johns ended the 2018 regular season boasting a spectacular .492 save percentage. Ling Luo | Daily TrojanThis match will mark the third time this season that the Trojans have faced off against ASU. The Women of Troy are 2-0 against Arizona State so far this year, touting a combined score of 33-5 in those two games.The Sun Devils have had a rollercoaster of a season. Although it is in the middle of a five-game losing streak, Arizona State started the season well — by winning five of their first six games. Since then, they have cooled down. Arizona State has lost 10 of its last 11 games, ending their inaugural season with a 6-11 record.Since its inception, the USC women’s lacrosse team, led by head coach Lindsey Munday, has been dominant. Munday, who has been with the program since its beginning, is 78-37 all-time. In previous seasons, USC was a member of the MPSF in which it won the MPSF Tournament in both 2016 and 2017. Now in the Pac-12, the Trojans are ranked No. 20 in the IWLCA coaches poll for the 40th consecutive week and without a doubt have made a strong statement in their new conference.USC currently has three players on the Tewaaraton Award Watch List including All-American senior goalie Gussie Johns, senior All-Region defender Lydia Sutton, and sophomore midfielder Kerrigan Miller. The award annually honors the top lacrosse player in the United States.Johns, who leads the nation in ground balls with 76, and Sutton, who earned third-team All-American honors, lead the Trojans’ defense. The two have combined for three Pac-12 defensive player of the week awards this season.Miller, who put together a 3-goal, two-assist performance last week against the Sun Devils, leads the team in goals and points scored but also has contributed with 10 assists, 41 draw controls and 35 ground balls. Miller, who has been a huge part of the team’s success, picked up the honor of Pac-12 offensive player of the week earlier this season. She also leads the Pac-12 in both caused turnovers per game (2.6) and game-winning goals (4).Freshman midfielder Kelsey Huff, who matched Miller’s performance against Arizona State with 3 goals and two assists, now sits at 25 goals and five assists this season. Huff should play a large role in Thursday’s matchup. The Trojans will also rely on players like sophomore midfielder Kaeli Huff, who has racked up 27 goals — good for third on the team. Two of those goals came on Saturday against ASU.Graduate attacker Maeve McMahon will also look to improve upon her already impressive first year as a Trojan. She  has already piled up 15 goals and leads the team with 13 assists. Sophomore attacker Izzy McMahon, who is second on the team in goals scored (28), will need to put up a strong performance Thursday.A win over the Sun Devils would give the Trojans their fourth-straight 10-win season.Further, beating Arizona State Thursday would guarantee a berth in the semifinals and a third matchup this season against Stanford, the tournament’s No. 2 seed Stanford, which has put together a dominant season shown by their 13-4 record, defeated the Trojans twice this year. The Trojans have not lost to the Cardinal by more than 3 scores this season and lost to them by 1 in a heartbreaking overtime game on March 25. A rematch should be a nailbiter.last_img read more

The Final Word: Beat writers discuss Syracuse men’s lacrosse overtime win over Duke

first_img Published on March 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm Comments CICERO — No. 12 Syracuse (5-2, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) played its first true-home game away from the Carrier Dome in 30 years and upset No. 2 Duke (8-2, 0-1), 9-8, in overtime at Cicero-North Syracuse High School on Sunday afternoon. The Orange stormed back from three-and four-goal deficits en route to their third-straight win. Brendan Curry scored the game-winner while Drake Porter posted 12 saves.Here’s what our beat writers had to say after the win.center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more