Daphne’s Dive Daphne Rubin-Vega (Photo: Bruce Glikas) Show Closed This production ended its run on June 12, 2016 View Comments Related Shows The world premiere of Pulitzer Prize winner Quiara Alegría Hudes’ Daphne’s Dive is proving a hot ticket. Starring Daphne Rubin-Vega, Vanessa Aspillaga and more, the production will now play through June 12; it had previously been set to shutter on June 5. Directed by Thomas Kail (Hamilton), the production is scheduled to begin previews on April 26 and will officially open on May 15 in the Romulus Linney Courtyard Theatre at the Pershing Square Signature Center.Along with Rubin-Vega (Rent) as Inez and Aspillaga (Domesticated) as Daphne, the cast will include Carlos Gomez (The Glades) as Acosta, K.K. Moggie (Mercy) as Jenn, Matthew Saldivar (Act One) as Pablo, Tony nominee Gordon Joseph Weiss (Ghetto) as Rey and Samira Wiley (Orange Is The new Black) as Ruby.Daphne’s Dive is a cheap corner bar in North Philly where Daphne and her vibrant, eclectic regulars drink to art, politics, and life. As Daphne’s adopted daughter, very different from her reserved and pragmatic mother, grows up, this unconventional family is forced to confront who’s an insider, who’s an outsider, and the challenge of opening your heart to strangers.
By Sharon OmahenUniversity of GeorgiaAs diabetics, David and Susan Dowdy know what they eat directly affects their blood sugar levels and lives. To combat the disease, the Brunswick, Ga., couple eats more healthful and exercises more.“Before, I ate chocolate cake, brownies and lots of ice cream,” he said. “Now I eat apples when I want a sweet snack.”Since January, David has lost 25 pounds and his wife has lost 30. In addition to watching their diets, they take daily 30-minute walks. By dieting and exercising, he has been able to stay on oral medication and avoid insulin shots. On the rise in U.S.Like the Dowdys, 24 million Americans are afflicted with diabetes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Since 2005, 3 million Americans have become diabetic. That’s an increase of 15 percent.“Another 57 million people have abnormally high blood sugar levels that indicate prediabetes,” said Connie Crawley, a health and nutrition specialist with University of Georgia Cooperative Extension.“If the current trend continues, the CDC estimates that by 2030, 400 million people will have diabetes.”Monitor blood sugar levelIf a person’s fasting blood sugar level is 126 or more or is 200 or more nonfasting, that person is probably diabetic, she said. A fasting blood sugar level between 100 and 126 may indicate prediabetes.The U.S. population has become more diverse and now includes more ethnic groups that are at greater risk for diabetes, she said, including American Indians and those from African, Asian or Latin descent.The increase is also due to Americans being older, overweight and inactive. Diabetes is common in Dowdy’s family. But despite the fact that it’s a hereditary condition, Crawley said it’s not inevitable. Exercise and weight lossIf an at-risk, overweight person loses 7 percent of her body weight and begins exercising at a moderate pace for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week, her risk for diabetes is cut by 58 percent, according to the Diabetes Preventions Program. For overweight, at-risk adults over age 60, the risk is cut by 71 percent. The workouts can be split into three 10-minute exercise sessions. “You don’t even need to get to an ideal body weight to see the benefits,” she said. Decreasing the fat around the middle of the body is essential. Men whose waists are less than 40 inches and women whose waists are less than 35 inches are less likely to get diabetes and other chronic diseases. Positive diet and exercise lifestyle changes are twice as effective as taking metformin, a drug known to control blood sugar, Crawley said.“Fortunately, many people see their blood sugars improve even before they lose much weight, just by eating smaller portions of healthier foods and starting to move more,” she said.To check your diabetes risk, take the risk test on the American Diabetes Association Web site www.diabetes.org/risk-test.jsp.Those at risk should have an annual blood glucose check by a doctor.
The workshop is being offered both in person at Citizen Action’s headquarters at 477 State Street in Binghamton as well as virtually from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The Southern Tier chapter of Citizen Action of New York is working to make sure people are ready for when New York States moratorium on evictions expires. That’s why they are holding a ‘Know your Tenant Rights’ workshop tomorrow for anyone worried that they could be evicted once that ban expires and after all protections end once New York State’s state of emergency is lifted. “Imagine not knowing what happens in regards to where you are going to stay, how long you are allowed to stay there and what you are going to do,” she said. Community organizer Amber Johnson tells 12 News that the goal is to make sure no one finds themselves without a place to live without a place to live due to the pandemic. If you’d like to join the discussion online you can find the link here.
The Sun concern owned by Jake Andabak bought 320.000 square meters of land in Sutivan on the island of Brac. They plan to build three new hotels there in cooperation with the German tour operator TUI, he writes tportal.hrIt is the final stage of a joint venture or joint venturea Sunca and the German tour operator TUI, which has owned 50 percent of Punta Zlatarac Tucepi since last week. Hotels Tucepi sold a stake in this company for 31,5 million euros to the Germans, and according to the agreement, Punta Zlatarac becomes joint venture, in whose joint management company TUI will have 51 and Sunce 49 percent ownership.’The land is located on the island of Brac in the municipality of Sutivan and is an exceptional location for the development of new tourist facilities. It is an area of 320.000 square meters with direct access to the coast and good infrastructural connections’, announced from Sunce concern for tportal.Andabak demolishes the old one and builds a new Termia hotel complex in Bizovačke topliceNews of the new projects came shortly after Jako Andabak, owner of Sunce Concern, announced that the demolition of the old Termia hotel complex in Bizovac Spa at the other end of Croatia, the eastern one, which he had bought three years ago, would begin by the end of the year. There, they will build a completely new facility worth ten million euros. At the same time, he confirmed that the Stubaki project, worth 70m euros, is moving forward in co-operation with Krapina-Zagorje County.The demolition project is finished, and at the same time the construction of a new hotel that will have 160 accommodation units, two restaurants and wellness center. Upon completion, the new facility should receive four stars. This would complete the last phase of the renovation of the Bizovac Spa complex, worth about ten million euros.
The Online Vacancy Index (OVI) is a monthly index of online job vacancies developed at the Institute of Economics, Zagreb in cooperation with the MojPosao portal. The purpose of the index is to provide timely information on the current state of labor demand. The OVI index is created by simply counting the number of unique new ads whose application deadlines end in the month for which the index is calculated. Since ads published through only one portal are taken, the number of ads is expressed as an index (base year is 2015).The index is interpreted as meaning that values greater than 100 represent an increase compared to 2015, and values less than 100 decrease compared to the base year. The index was seasonally adjusted by the X-12-ARIMA method. What is OVI? In September, the OVI index rose by 24,4 percent compared to the same period last year, while in the first nine months of this year the index grew by 29,4 percent compared to the average value of the index in the first three quarters of 2017.Despite the increase in the absolute number of advertisements, the seasonally adjusted values of the index point to a drop in the demand for labor on a monthly basis of -2,8 percent. After June and July, this is the third decrease in the index on a monthly basis in the last six months, indicating the possibility that labor demand has reached its peak.In the structure of the most sought-after occupations, the top five, which make up almost a third of all published advertisements, in September still consisted of salesman, waiter, teacher and chef, while compared to the same month last year, the driver was replaced by a warehouseman. The largest positive contribution to the growth of the index at the annual level of 24,4 percent has the demand for teachers in the amount of 3,2 percentage points, while the largest negative contribution has the demand for mechanical engineers (-0,5 percentage points) and developers , 0,4 percentage points).In addition, there is a noticeable decline in demand with contracts based on vocational training without employment, by 40,3 percent compared to September 2017, or with a negative contribution to the overall annual growth of the index in the amount of -2,2 percentage points.
Lawyer Dino De Leon has filed anExtremely Urgent Petition for Mandamus asking the high court to direct Duterte,through the Office of the President and/or Executive Secretary SalvadorMedialdea, to disclose his medical records, undergo confirmatory tests, andrelease these tests’ results. “There is no evidence submitted beforethe high court that the President is suffering from a serious illness,” Panelosaid. “I am encouraging the petitioner to improve his knowledge on the law.” “The issue on the health of thePresident is now with the Supreme Court, and I look forward to their swiftaction, in light of the urgency of the situation,” he added./PN MANILA – Malacañang lambasted a petitionfiled by a lawyer urging the Supreme Court (SC) to compel President RodrigoDuterte to release to the public his medical records. “The petition does not have any factualor legal bases. It is hornbook doctrine that a petition before a court of lawcannot be anchored on mere conjectures or surmises,” he added. Chief Presidential Legal CounselSalvador Panelo said the petition, which claimed that Duterte looked“physically unwell” during his previous address regarding the coronavirusdisease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, were “just purely speculations.” “The petition filed by a certain lawyerbefore the Supreme Court to compel President Duterte to disclose the results ofhis medical exams or other health records warrants an outright dismissal,”Panelo said in a statement. “The suit may have been a product ofpetitioner’s boredom as a result of the enhanced community quarantine. He mayinstead want to use his time by brushing up his law,” he added. Panelo cited Article VII, Section 12 ofthe 1987 Constitution as he assured that the public will be informed of thestate of the President’s health only if he has a serious illness. President Rodrigo Duterte addresses the nation on Monday night amid the extended Luzon lockdown and coronavirus outbreak in the country. PTV “This Extremely Urgent Petition forMandamus was mainly brought about by my concern as a citizen on the physicaland mental fitness of President Duterte to steer the nation as we face thehealth crisis,” De Leon said in a Facebook post on Monday night.
Loading… read also:Bakayoko wants Milan move And Gazzetta dello Sport says negotiations have reached an advanced stage as Bakayoko has agreed on personal terms with the Rossonero. For their part, Chelsea are demanding a fee to sell the midfielder, but are unlikely to price Bakayoko out of a move to Milan. An initial asking price has been set at €20m. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Chelsea midfielder, Tiemoue Bakayoko, is a step away from signing for AC Milan. After a season on-loan at AS Monaco, Bakayoko has been encouraged to find himself a new club by Chelsea this summer. A return to AC Milan has long been mooted, where he spent the 2018/19 season on-loan.Advertisement Promoted ContentCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The World11 Greatest Special Effects Movies Of All TimeWhat Disney Princesses Would Look Like In Modern Day RealitiesInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Value5 Reasons Why The Black Widow Solo Movie Will Be Awesome7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny10 Inventions That Make Our Lives Much Easier8 Shows That Went From “Funny” To “Why Am I Watching This”
McIlroy was seeking his third win in four weeks, having followed his victory in the WGC-Cadillac Match Play with a third consecutive top-10 finish in the Players Championship and a seven-shot triumph at Quail Hollow on Sunday. However, the world number one slumped to a second round of 78 in the European Tour’s flagship event to finish five over par, 15 shots behind halfway leader Francesco Molinari. The 26-year-old admitted his patience was wearing thin after throwing a club in frustration during an opening 71, a situation which never looked likely to improve on Friday. Bogeys on the third and sixth were followed by a birdie on the eighth, before the wheels truly came off on the back nine with a bogey on the 10th and a double-bogey on the next, where a wild hook off the tee resulted in an unplayable lie and another hook into the crowd with his second attempt. Further dropped shots on the 13th and 16th were followed by a birdie on the 17th, but a three-putt bogey on the last summed up McIlroy’s day and the only good news was a welcome weekend off before his duties as tournament host in next week’s Irish Open. ” I’m not going to read too much into it,” McIlroy said after his worst score since also shooting 78 in the second round of the Scottish Open last July, which was one of a string of bad Friday performances ended in style during the following week’s Open Championship. “It was inevitable at some point that the run was going to come to a bit of an end. I’m sort of back to my usual at Wentworth. It wasn’t great before I won last year and it hasn’t been great after. “Any time you’re defending a title you want to come back and give it a valiant effort. This week wasn’t really that. “I’m not angry. A little disappointed I’m not going to be here for the weekend, but if there was any weekend to miss, coming off the back of three good weeks in the States…. I’m probably in need of a little bit of a rest. “If anything good comes out of this, it’s just that I get a couple of days over the weekend to refresh mentally.” Defending champion Rory McIlroy crashed out of the BMW PGA Championship on Friday, reverting to his “usual” performance at Wentworth by missing the cut for the third time in four years. Press Association McIlroy’s early departure was not the only bad news for tournament organisers and incoming European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley, who visited Wentworth on Friday as he prepares to succeed George O’Grady in July. Two-time winner Luke Donald carded a second successive 70 to finish four under par, but suggested that the greens needed replacing for the second time in six years. “I guess the only way to fix them is to redo them again,” said Donald. “I f there’s one tournament you should expect them to be perfect, it’s this one. “It’s not a question we haven’t talked about over the years. It has happened a few times. “When they redid the greens (in 2009) and I look at the success I had (finishing second in 2010 and winning in 2011 and 2012), I would certainly be a proponent of doing them again.” Former US Open champion Justin Rose agreed after a 72 left him one under, adding: “I just watched myself on TV knocking in a four-footer on 18 and it looked easy, but that was different from the running commentary in my head. ” They are bouncy and then it becomes a mental thing, you don’t quite trust your reads. “It’s disappointing in the sense that the whole reason we changed this course was that if a player has a six-foot putt to win and hits a good putt, it should go in. “We are back in the situation where that six-footer might not be true come Sunday afternoon.” Molinari, who has recorded three straight top-10 finishes at Wentworth and was joint second in the Spanish Open on Sunday, added a 69 to his opening 65 to finish 10 under par, one shot ahead of Korea’s An Byeong-hun, who completed a flawless 64 shortly before 8pm. ”Obviously I’m delighted to have gone a little bit further under par and just need to keep doing the same,” said Molinari, who recovered from two bogeys in his first three holes. “I know how hard I’ve been working the last few months, so it’s nice to see that it’s paying off on the course.” Argentina’s Emiliano Grillo and Thailand’s Thongchai Jaidee were two off the lead on eight under, with Spanish Open winner James Morrison another shot back.
A spokesman said agents were at the Seven Bridges community on “court ordered law enforcement activity.”However, the agency has not released any additional information at this time. The FBI spent part of Thursday at a neighborhood in west Delray Beach.
STAKEHOLDERS for the game of Cricket in Guyana, yesterday staged a peaceful protest outside the Chambers of the country’s Attorney General, Basil Williams, calling for government’s intervention to bring some ‘semblance of normalcy’ to the way the game is administered.The group’s placards displayed several malpractices by the Guyana Cricket Board which recently became Cricket Guyana Inc., now becoming an incorporated entity.Among many things, the group is unanimously calling for unhindered elections by the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB), calling for the Government of Guyana to act on the Cricket Administration Bill which was passed in the National Assembly in 2014.The Guyana Cricket Administration Bill that seeks to provide legal administrative guidelines for cricket.The Bill had found favour with the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), but the Alliance For Change (AFC) did not offer any support when it was being tabled in the National Assembly.Frank Anthony, who was at the time Minister of Sport, presented the Bill to the National Assembly and said it was drafted after extensive consultations with all stakeholders, and more so, following recommendations in a ruling made by the High Court.Anthony pointed out that the Bill firstly, makes it legal for the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) to be established as a corporate body comprising the Demerara, Essequibo and the Berbice Cricket Boards, all of which will also be made corporate entities.A section of the Bill will address the issue of phantom voting for the election of persons for administrative positions and at the same time will give limited power to the Minister of Sport.The National Assembly was also told that the Bill provides for better financial accountability. As such, the GCB, under this new legislation, will be required to present timely audited financial reports to the National Assembly, as well as the National Sports Commission.However, three years later and several court matters involving the GCB and the Berbice Cricket Board, as well as the Government of Guyana, cricket took a nosedive as several public displays between the GCB and disgruntled affiliates and stakeholders unfolded.The Group also accused the Government of Guyana for being “in bed” with the GCB which they deemed “illegal”.Under the David Granger-led Government, the GCB has received considerable amount of support for a number of projects and developmental programmes.The group plans on continuing their protest until they have an audience with the Government.