ODs for Prendergast, Stewart, Wright

first_img DEDICATED AWARD THREE of the nation’s top sporting personalities – football administrator Carvel Stewart, former Jamaica Cricket Association president Lyndel Wright, and former FIFA referee Peter Prendergast – have been recognised with the Order of Distinction (Officer Rank). The awards were announced yesterday by Governor General Sir Patrick Allen. The official ceremony is scheduled for Heroes Day, October 19. Stewart, who was recognised for long and commendable service to Jamaica’s construction industry and sports, says he appreciated the honour. “I would have to appreciate the award because I’m sure that there are many other candidates,” Stewart told The Gleaner yesterday. “In a formal way, I’ve been involved in football administration since 1972 with the formation of Harbour View Football Club. As a youth, it was before that time. I just love administration and will continue. I didn’t have things like this in mind,” the Harbour View FC chairman and vice-chairman of the Premier League Clubs Association said. Stewart is also president of the Incorporated Masterbuilders Association of Jamaica. Another awardee, Lyndel Wright, dedicated the award to Boys’ Town. “I must say thanks to those who consider my service to cricket over the years. This is for Boys’ Town and its founder, Father Hugh Sherlock,” Wright, a former Jamaica representative said. Wright was awarded for his invaluable contribution to development in the construction industry and sports, in particular cricket in Jamaica. Prendergast was also recognised for his invaluable contribution to the advancement of Jamaica’s football and refereeing. He is a former FIFA referee, and has performed duties at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, Olympics, FIFA World Cup, and Confederations Cup.last_img read more

Pellegrini preparing for ‘vital’ Chelsea clash after Man City fall behind in title race

first_imgManchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini admits he is preparing for a “vital” top-of-the-table crunch match with Premier League rivals Chelsea after losing ground in the title race.Having completely wiped out the eight-point advantage Chelsea once held over them over Christmas, the top flight champions now find themselves trailing by a large margin again.City were outgunned in a 2-0 home defeat to Arsenal on Sunday, a result which leaves them five points adrift of Jose Mourinho’s league leaders.City controlled possession throughout at the Etihad Stadium, but lacked creativity despite the return of top scorer Sergio Aguero to their starting line-up, while Arsenal hit back on the counter-attack and netted through a Santi Cazorla penalty and Olivier Giroud’s header.Pellegrini accepts his side’s trip to Stamford Bridge in a fortnight is vital to their hopes of retaining the title, though he does believe his side can catch the Blues.“The game we must play at Stamford Bridge is a very important game,” said the Chilean. “We must close the gap to two points.“I hope we are going to recover and play the way we have been playing so far.“But it’s just five points. A few months ago we were eight points behind them and we still have 45 points left to play for.”Pellegrini felt City were not their usual attacking selves against Arsenal, who shut out the champions with an stubborn defensive display.The Chilean coach, whose side are now heading to Abu Dhabi for a warm-weather training camp, said: “With the ball we didn’t have clear ideas, I think we didn’t play a good game.“We ran a lot and had a lot of possession but we didn’t have creative ideas to try and find the space against a team that defend very well.“We conceded two goals from set-pieces. I doubt it was a penalty but after the penalty we had enough time and we didn’t create many chances to score.”last_img read more

Which Letterkenny pub was Sam Smith spotted in?

first_imgSuperstar singer Sam Smith has been spotted several times in Letterkenny over the course of the week. On Friday Sam dropped into McCafferty’s bar in Mountain Top, Letterkenny and happily posed for a picture with Mark!Mark said; “My jaw nearly hit the floor! An absolute gentleman, and he sang a few tunes later on too.“Bit cheeky of me to ask for a picture but he actually took it for me. Unreal!” Sam was also spotted in The Lemon Tree restaurant twice this week and told staff that he is smitten with Donegal.Sam said that he is visiting the coolest place on the planet to write new music and is taking in the stunning scenery during his stay. Which Letterkenny pub was Sam Smith spotted in? was last modified: March 5th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:celebritydonegalletterkennymc caffertysSam Smithlast_img read more

OLYMPIAN BRENDAN RETURNS TO DONEGAL – IN PICTURES!

first_imgOlympian Brendan Boyce returned to a huge welcome to Co Donegal last night.The 50k walker, who knocked two minutes off his own personal best during his efforts in London, was greeted by dozens of fans when he arrived in Letterkenny. He then made his way to Milford where crowds came in out villages to welcome him home.Brendan said he really enjoyed the experience of the Olympic Games and thanked everyone for their support.We’ll check in again on you a few weeks before the next games in Brazil in 2016.Don’t be knocking too much time off that personal best of yours Brendan!  OLYMPIAN BRENDAN RETURNS TO DONEGAL – IN PICTURES! was last modified: August 13th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Brendan BoyceHOMECOMINGMilfordlast_img read more

MAN FOUND NOT GUILTY OF FIRST COMMUNION SEX ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: A man accused of sexually assaulting a 10 year old girl at her sister’s first communion party has been found not guilty.Letterkenny Court.The 37 year old appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court, charged with two counts of sexual assault on April 24th, 2010. During the three day trial the girl and her sister appeared by video-link.The girl, who is now 15, said the man touched her on her private parts as they sat in a sofa in the living room during the party.She also claimed the man followed her to her mother’s bedroom later in the evening and again touched her private parts and kissed her.The man, whom the girl and her family referred to as an uncle because of their once close friendship, denied both charges.Barrister for the accused, Mr Peter Nolan, said the evidence was unbelievable as nobody else in a roomful of people saw the alleged sexual assault taking place.The accused man alleged the girl’s mother had claimed she was in a bad mood because she was allowed to wear a white communion dress like her sister.Giving evidence the accused said he had merely gave the girl a hug as she had ben sad and had locked herself away from the party in her mother’s bedroom.H said he then fell asleep on the bed and he was awoken by the alleged victim’s sister.When he came downstairs he said he was attacked by the girl’s mother with a bottle.He said “I never touched or sexually assaulted her. Nothing like that ever happened.“I did not touch her at all under her clothes or her privates or her bottom.“Why is she saying all this? I find it difficult to get into her mind and only she can explain why she is doing this.”The jury of six men and six woman took just more than half an hour to reach a not guilty verdict on the two charges of sexual assault.MAN FOUND NOT GUILTY OF FIRST COMMUNION SEX ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS was last modified: February 14th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegalnot guiltysex caselast_img read more

HSU football coach Rob Smith resigns

first_imgRob Smith announced his resignation as head coach of the Humboldt State University football team during a midday press conference at Baywood Golf & Country Club on Tuesday. The resignation comes a month after Smith, along with HSU President Lisa Rossbacher and Interim Athletic Director Duncan Robins, announced that the football team would live to see a 2018 season.The resignation, according to Robins, will not take effect until Friday. Robins said as of now Cory White is the acting head coach. …last_img read more

It’s time for Jimmy Garoppolo to find his mojo — before it’s too late

first_imgOn one hand, he’s a 26-year-old quarterback with only nine NFL starts to his name. He’s unquestionably talented, but he’s learning how to be successful at the highest level.On the other hand, Garoppolo has the third-largest contract in the NFL and was anointed the 49ers’ franchise savior after his transcendent play led the team to a 5-0 end to the 2017 … YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES?Pick against our pros all season long and win!***SANTA CLARA — Jimmy Garoppolo is in a unique spot.last_img read more

New NFC-Enabled Phones to Hit Europe

first_imgRole of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement NFC, or Near Field Communication, is a short-range wireless technology that allows for the exchange of data between two devices in close proximity. It will serve as the basis of mobile payment systems, ticketing and transportation services, says Orange.New NFC Phones for Europe: Samsung Wave 578, Galaxy S IIAccording to NFCTimes, a site dedicated to covering NFC-related news, the bada-based Samsung Wave 578 has a touchscreen, Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth 3.0, in addition to its NFC capabilities. It will arrive in France, Spain and Poland by the second quarter of 2011. Later, it will roll out to additional Orange branch operators throughout Europe, but not the U.K.The phone supports NFC through the use of special NFC-enabled SIM cards Orange will issue, NFCTimes reports. And it will soon be followed by other NFC-enabled handsets from LG and Nokia, among others.Samsung had also announced at its Barcelona press conference this week that some models of its Samsung Galaxy S II would be available with NFC technology. On Orange’s network, these will come to France first. They will also come to the U.K. via Orange U.K. and T-Mobile U.K.Orange: Over Half of All New Smartphones Will Have NFC“Orange expects that by the end of 2011 over half of all new smartphone models to be added to its range for Europe will be optimised for mobile contactless services,” the operator said.However, it’s important to note that some of these phones are launching prior to the services’ existence. Instead, says NFCTimes, the strategy is to put the phones and SIM cards into subscribers’ pockets to encourage service providers to roll out NFC services.NFC-Based Mobile Payments Service Launches in U.K. This Summer This summer, Orange and T-Mobile U.K. arms and their partner Barclaycard will roll out NFC payment services in the United Kingdom. With this initiative, consumers will be able to make payments using a new MasterCard PayPass prepaid account stored on their mobile phone.Explains Orange (via NearFieldCommunicationsWorld.com):“When you get your new handset, you need to activate it and link it to your existing Barclaycard, Barclays debit or Orange Credit Card. Using your handset, you then simply download (or transfer) funds from your card, to your phone… Loading your account could not be easier and it can also be done online via MyBarclaycard. The mobile phone can then be used to make payments of £15 or less wherever contactless payments are accepted, by simply tapping the phone itself against a contactless reader.”2011 Shaping Up as Year of NFCWhy is this news important? Because it’s signaling the start of mobile payments initiatives in major markets, supported by both operators and banks. This year we will see more and more programs like this launching – for example, in the U.S., Bank of America will roll out its own NFC-enabled mobile payments system sometime this year, too.U.S. operators have also teamed up on their own mobile payments service called Isis and Google is reportedly developing its own, too. This a major area of development to watch in mobile this year, and will have a broad impact on the way we go about our daily lives. Stay tuned. At Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this week, Orange announced it will introduce its first NFC-enabled smartphone in the second quarter of this year to select European markets, with others soon to follow. The phone is a mid-tier Samsung Wave 578, which runs the Samsung bada operating system. As it turns out, it won’t be the only new smartphone with NFC to hit European markets – Samsung’s Galaxy S II, also announced this week, will include NFC technology, too. Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Related Posts center_img sarah perez What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#mobile#news#NYT The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technologylast_img read more

‘Forged alliance with BSP to ensure Netaji’s win in LS polls’

first_imgSamajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav has said that he forged an alliance with the BSP so that his father Mulayam Singh can win with “record votes” from whichever seat in Uttar Pradesh he chooses to fight the Lok Sabha polls.His comment came days after SP patriarch Mulayam Yadav — popularly known as Netaji — expressed “displeasure” over his son’s decision to enter into a tie-up with the Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Party. “I have made the alliance with the BSP so that Netaji can win with record votes in the State from wherever he contests the Lok Sabha polls,” Mr. Yadav said.Ms. Mayawati and Mr. Yadav had jointly announced the alliance in January, saying the BSP and the SP will contest 38 parliamentary seats each out of the 80 in Uttar Pradesh. However, when the parties released the list of seats shared between them, the SP got 37 seats and the BSP 38.‘With his blessings’Asked about Mr. Mulayam Singh’s statement last week in which he sought to know the basis for “giving away” 38 seats to the BSP, Mr. Yadav said, “When I was going to address a press conference to announce the alliance with the BSP, I had met Netaji and took his blessings. I had informed that in the alliance we will be getting half of the seats.” Following the seat-sharing announcement, the SP patriarch had said, “Now, we have only half the seats left. Our party was stronger.” On the distribution of tickets, Mr. Yadav said, “The seats which we are going to contest are final. Now, the list of party nominees will be finalised soon. We have already identified candidates. There is no problem in it.” When asked about reports of some SP members being disgruntled over not being considered for ticket, he said the party has been making preparations for the past one year on all seats and its leaders were asked to work on the ground in their respective areas and support whoever is given a ticket. “We all are united and contest with full force,” the SP president said. Several times, decisions in politics are taken keeping in mind equations. “Our ticket selection was on for a year, and we got 40 applications, the maximum, from those interested to contest from Amroha, 32 applied for the Jaunpur seat. We will take a decision accordingly,” he said. He said two seats — Raebareli and Amethi — have been left for the Congress and two for the RLD. On the alliance’s objective, Mr. Yadav said, “Our fight is to save the Constitution and fight those who have taken two oaths, one of government and the other of the RSS. Our goal is one — to remove the BJP and change the PM.”last_img read more