Strong Jamaica team aims to dominate CAREBACO

first_imgKINGSTON: Jamaica’s team will begin their departure today to defend their titles at the 2015 Caribbean Regional Badminton Confederation (CAREBACO) Championships to be held in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, from August 20-30. Jamaica hosted the 2014 staging and won both senior and junior team titles, along with 23 gold medals, 13 silver medals and 24 bronze medals in the senior and junior individual events. This year, Jamaica will be represented by a smaller contingent, but hopes remain high for a big medal haul. “This is a very strong team,” said David Thomas, Jamaica Badminton Association president. “The seniors and juniors are very strong. We were challenged last year and were victorious; we expect a very good performance from the team this year.” He added: “We have had good preparation, and the senior and juniors are coming from hard tournaments and training. I hope that all our representatives will carry their best performances to the tournament, both on and off the court, as they are our national representatives. The Under-19 boys and the technical director are scheduled to leave Jamaica today, while the rest of the team will follow on August 21 and August 24 for their respective events. The Jamaicans will compete in the Under-19 international event, senior and junior team events from August 24-26, and the individual junior events (Under-11, Under-13, Under-15, Under-17, and Under-19). The CAREBACO Open event is also on the team’s roster of engagements for the team that is sponsored by Mayberry Investments Limited. Senior team Gareth Henry, Jamaica’s number-one male player, who is sponsored by Olympic Solidarity through the Jamaica Olympic Association, is currently training in Malaysia and will be participating in the championships in both team and Open events. The other members of the senior team include Canada-based Dayvon Reid, Katherine Wynter and Ruth Williams, who all represented Jamaica at the recently concluded Pan Am Games in Toronto, Canada. The junior team representatives are Kenneth Anglin; Matthew Lee; Shaquille Palmer; Under-15 triple gold medallist Joel Angus; Alana Bailey, the Under-17 girl’s doubles and mixed doubles gold medallist; and Shezelle McTyson, the Under-15 and Under-17 triple gold medallist. They will also represent Jamaica in the junior individual events, along with players in the lower age groups, which also includes last year’s CAREBACO gold medallists, Taina Daley, Rhys and Zane Reid.last_img read more

LBA, CBL End Two-Day Seminar

first_imgThe Liberian Bankers Association (LBA) in collaboration with the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) Wednesday, May 28, concluded a two-day seminar aimed at educating commercial bank directors on “corporate governance and risk management.”Speaking at the close of the seminar, Liberian Bankers Association president John B. Davis said the event was organized to ensure that directors of banks are on the same pace in terms of Corporate Governance.He described the event as a platform for directors to acquire fundamental understanding of the implications and responsibilities in relation to corporate governance in a standardized banking Sector.“We want to improve the directors’ understanding of corporate governance especially as it relates to the CBL guidelines and best practices,” he said.Davis: “The seminar will help improve the economy by preventing bank failures and ensuring that banks managements are more sensitive to actions that safeguard depositors’ funds.However, the issue of risk management is a fairly new idea in Liberian banking system.”Davis, who also serves as president for Liberia Bank for Development and Investment (LBDI) termed the risk management introduced as a “challenge” but stressed that it can be addressed.“Bank Directors are gradually understanding and appreciating its demands and benefits and are working to institutionalize it in our business process and content structures,” Mr. Davis noted.The forum, which was conducted on the 27 and 28 of May, involved all the nine commercial banks in Liberia.The seminar was facilitated by the West African Institute for Financial and Economic Management (WAIFEM).Some of the topics covered at the event were: Corporate Governance of Banks, Corporate Governance and Bank Performance, Corporate Governance and Global Financial, Enterprise Risk Management amongst others.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

UBCM considers extending municipal election terms

first_imgThe Union of BC Municipalities is re-evaluating the length of municipal terms in BC. Currently, civic elections occur every three years. However, UBCM wants to know if the public would rather see the elections every four years. That would put the province in line with provinces such as Manitoba, Quebec, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, which all run four year terms. A motion to extend the term was first put forth by Port Moody at UBCM’s 2006 convention. The motion was among those on the Gold Star Resolution Winners List for that convention. In the resolution, Port Moody argued that extending the terms to four years would bring the municipalities in line with provincial and federal terms. The city also suggested the extended terms would save taxpayers’ money and allow councils to be more productive. – Advertisement -UBCM has asked municipalities to include a non-binding survey question on Saturday’s ballot asking the public if they would be in favour of the change; however, at this time, only the cities of Trail, New Westminster and Merritt have confirmed their participation.last_img read more

Signs and rocks vandalized near Charlie Lake

first_imgThe Fort St. John RCMP Detachment is looking for the public’s assistance in a vandalism case in Charlie Lake.The incident happened on Thursday, October 15th, on Lakeshore Drive.  Police say the person(s) responsible spray painted numerous objects, including signs, rocks and other various objects. The suspects used black spray paint, and painted “HB” on many objects.Local RCMP officers are classifying this case as ‘Mischief under $5,000’. – Advertisement -Police say this seems to be a developing trend in Charlie Lake, and so far, there have been no witnesses.If you have any information on this incident, contact the Fort St. John RCMP at 250-787-8140 or 250-787-8100.  To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).last_img read more

Exclusive – Balotelli will make Liverpool title contenders, claims Brown

first_imgPhil Brown claims Mario Balotelli will make Liverpool genuine title challengers.The Italian is poised to complete a £16million move to Merseyside on Monday as Brendan Rodgers further strengthens his squad.And after finishing runners-up in the Premier League last season, Brown feels Balotelli’s arrival will ensure they are in the mix again this term“Balotelli will make Liverpool title contenders,” he told the Weekend Sports Breakfast. “He will be a fabulous acquisition. The guy can turn games and win you games.“Brendan [Rodgers] has shown everybody he can manage, if you like, dodgy players. He’s not just a great coach, he’s a great manager.”last_img read more

Search startup takes on Google

first_imgPARC’s top natural-language specialist, Ronald Kaplan, is now Powerset’s chief technology and scientific officer. “We have the best natural-language search technology that has ever been developed,” Pell, an artificial-intelligence expert, boasted in an interview last week. Backed by $12.5 million in venture capital, Powerset offered its first public preview Monday morning at the conference hosted by TechCrunch, a blog widely read by venture capitalists and other high-tech luminaries. Powerset is gradually opening its testing ground, dubbed Powerlabs, to 16,000 people who signed up to get an early glimpse at the search engine. During this test phase, Powerlabs is only indexing material from Wikipedia, a popular Web encyclopedia. The San Francisco-based startup is so confident that its methods are superior to Google that Powerlabs will present some answers alongside what its rival returns when asked the same questions. Powerset is requiring its users to vote on which engine produced better results before they are allowed to enter another search request. “Google is the king,” Pell said. “Their system does an amazing job, given what they have to go on. But we think they have plateaued.” Much larger companies – all relying on keyword search – haven’t been able to knock Google from its pedestal. Despite huge investments in search by Yahoo and Microsoft, Google has steadily expanded its market share during the past three years and now processes more than half of all search requests on the Internet. But even Google’s executives acknowledge that today’s search technology doesn’t do as good a job as it should in divining what people are looking for on the Internet. That’s one reason Google has hired thousands more workers and spent nearly $2.2 billion on research and development since the end of 2005. Other search engines have previously promised to understand conversational English with little success. In the 1990s, Ask Jeeves was founded on the premise that Internet search requests should be presented as simple questions. It frustrated users with too many irrelevant answers. After nearly failing in the dot-com bust, the company embraced the keyword approach to search and abandoned its mascot – a cartoon butler named Jeeves – to distance itself from the days it relied on natural-language algorithms. It is now known simply as Ask.com. More recently, New York-based Hakia has been tackling natural-language search requests without making much of a dent in the market.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN FRANCISCO – The dozens of entrepreneurs gathered for an exclusive high-tech conference here Monday all hope to dazzle the crowd with their ingenuity. But one startup, Powerset, is pursuing a particularly challenging goal: It’s aiming to outshine the Internet’s brightest star with a new search engine built to outsmart Google. After nearly two years of hushed development, Powerset is finally providing a peek at a “natural language” technology that is supposed to make it easier to communicate with search engines. Powerset’s algorithms are programmed to understand search requests submitted in plain English, a change from the “keyword” system used by Google Inc., Yahoo Inc., Microsoft Corp. and the owners of the other leading engines. The distinction means Web surfers will theoretically be able to get more meaningful results by typing more precise search requests in the form of straightforward questions like “What did Steve Jobs say about Apple?” instead of entering an ungrammatical mishmash like “Apple Steve Jobs said.” Barney Pell, Powerset’s co-founder and chief executive, likens the hit-and-miss-process of searching with keywords to talking to a 2-year-old. “In one sense, you are happy you can talk to it at all, but you still really want it to grow up so you can hold a real conversation,” he said. This isn’t the first time a search engine has tried to understand simple English, but Powerset has drawn more attention because its natural-language technology is being licensed from the Palo Alto Research Center. Better known as PARC, the Xerox Corp. subsidiary is renowned for hatching breakthroughs – such as the computer mouse and the graphical interface for personal computers – that were later commercialized by other companies. last_img read more

Julien fired, Gainey takes over Montreal

first_img “We have to push back so that we’re moving up the standings by putting points on the board, rather than the other direction,” Gainey said at a news conference. Carbonneau said the decision to return to Montreal, where he was an assistant from 2000-02, was an easy one despite the fact he won’t take over until next season. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita “I really enjoyed the experience when I came here five years ago, being behind the bench with (then-coach) Michel Therrien,” said Carbonneau, who has no head coaching experience and was in his third season as an assistant GM with Dallas. “I couldn’t wait for a second chance to come back in a different position.” Kasparitis hurt: New York Rangers defenseman Darius Kasparaitis sprained his knee when he collided with a teammate during warmups before Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. Kasparaitis collided with forward Dominic Moore and had to be helped off the ice by Moore and forward Jason Ward. The Montreal Canadiens fired coach Claude Julien on Saturday, with general manager Bob Gainey taking over on an interim basis and Guy Carbonneau slated to become coach at the season’s end. The Canadiens got off to a strong 12-3 start this season under Julien before losing 18 of their past 25 games. center_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

JURY TO DECIDE ON GARDA MCCALLION MANSLAUGHTER TRIAL TODAY

first_imgThe jury in the trial of a Kerrykeel man charged with the manslaughter of tragic Garda Robbie McCallion will decide today if he is innocent or guilty.Jamie McGrenaghan, 19, has admitted dangerous driving causing the death of the Letterkenny-based Garda on April 7th, 2009 but has denied the charge of manslaughter.For the past two days a jury or twelve men and women have heard evidence about the night which led to the horrific chain of events. After bieng given direction by Judge John O’Hagan later this morning, they must then decide if McGrenaghan is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.Yesterday McGrenaghan of Gortnathraw, Cashel, Kerrykeel claimed he never meant to dleiberately hit Garda McCallion.He said on the night Gardai tried to block his exit from Tara Court he spotted a gap when Gardai tried to block his escape route and “went for it.”McGrenaghan, 19, struck Garda McCallion, 29, in the early hours of March 26th, 2009, after he and another man had stolen a car at Tara Court on the outskirts of the town.The Garda, a talented footballer who played with his native Mayo, died in Beaumont Hospital in Dublin a few days later on April 7th.McGrenaghan’s defence team argued that Mr.McGrenaghan panicked on the night of the tragedy and was merely trying to escape.Letterkenny Circuit Court heard how McGrenaghan and friend Cathal Dunleavy had been drinking in several pubs in the Fanad and Kerrykeel areas before driving to Letterkenny.They went to see a car which was for sale at Tara Court but while there spotted another car, a white Toyota Corolla, which Dunleavy decided to steal.The men returned later at 4am in McGrenaghan’s Peugeot car and took the Totota Corolla car.However as they tried to leave the housing estate, they were met by three Gardai.The Gardai noticed the door of the Corolla car was damaged and went to block the road.McGrenaghan, who was behind the Corolla in his own car, immediately reversed back up the road and began revving is engine.He then drove at the patrol car but veered to the left hitting the patrol car, the Corrola and sent Garda McCallion through the air and into a nearby garden.He tried to run away but was caught by Garda Shane Lavelle.After being arrested McGrenaghan admitted he had run down Garda McCallion but said he did not mean it.He initially denied remembering hitting Garda McCallion at all but later admitted he did.“I was panicking away and went to left hand side to get past,” he claimed.He said he was very sorry after later hearing that Garda McCallion had been seriously injured as a result.“I’m sorry for what happened to the officers and I hope he recovers quickly,” he said.He also claimed he was drunk but it was later shown that when he was tested, he was not over the limit.Mr Alex Owens, for the prosecution, said the Gardai had to run for their lives when McGrenaghan was approaching them.“You (the jury) have to ask yourselves if he was driving at them to escape. They feared for their lives. You have to decide how dangerous that was.“He was using the car as a missile. It may have only been going 30 mph but all the evidence is that it was accelerating.“This is a car that hit a wall and demolished a fair lump of it and that gives you an indication of force flown into the direction of the Gardai,” he said.However barrister for the defence Mr.Denis Vaughan-Buckley said the fact that the victim was a Garda should not sway the jury.He also claimed that McGrenaghan was led by Cathal Dunleavy who had 45 previous convictions including burglary, drink-driving, assault and escaping from custody.“Manslaughter is a different and serious matter. It means gross negligence – it is very, very serious. Is unusual to have a charge of manslaughter along with dangerous diving causing death.“If he wasn’t a Garda would there be a charge of manslaughter? That’s a matter for you. But you might think it’s being heavy-handed.“The evidence you have heard does not amount to gross negligence and so not guilty of manslaughter,” he said.State Pathologist Marie Cassidy carried out a post mortem on Garda McCallion and said the cause of death was as a result of a head injury due to vehicular impact.The late Garda McCallion’s family were in court including his father and mother Bob and Nancy as well as his brother John, sisters Deidre and Noirin and girlfriend Marie O’Donnell.A number of the tragic Garda’s colleagues including Superintendent Vincent O’Brien and Sgt.Christy Gallagan were also in court.EndsJURY TO DECIDE ON GARDA MCCALLION MANSLAUGHTER TRIAL TODAY was last modified: February 3rd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Newcastle on verge of sealing £8.75million deal for Valencia midfielder

first_img Enzo Perez in action for Valencia in a friendly game against Bournemouth 1 Newcastle have made an £8.75m offer for Valencia midfielder Enzo Perez.According to Sport, the newly-promoted Premier League club have lodged a bid which is likely to be accepted by the Spanish club.Perez played 26 times in La Liga last term but has been heavily linked with a move away this summer.A return to his native Argentina has been mooted with River Plate seemingly very keen on landing the 31-year-old too.But it has now been suggested that Newcastle have made a serious offer to bring the experienced campaigner to the Premier League.last_img read more