Mark Bosnich believes relegation from the Premier League is a certainty for Aston Villa this season.Bringing in Remi Garde to replace Tim Sherwood as manager has so far failed to bring around a change in the club’s fortunes.The Frenchman has yet to taste victory in three matches at the helm and Saturday’s defeat at home to Watford has left Villa seven points adrift of safety at the bottom of the table.Bosnich says Garde’s appointment was a mistake, claiming his old club should have gone for a more experienced boss, and he insists there is zero chance of them escaping trouble.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former Villa ‘keeper said: “No disrespect to Remi, but he wasn’t the right man to bring in while they are in so much trouble. You have seen the effect Sam Allardyce already has had at Sunderland.“I don’t think they have got it in them nor do I think they have the ability to get out of the problem they are in. One victory all season tells a story in itself.“They are in a really, really bad rut. Unless they get two or three proper world class players in in January, which I doubt is going to happen, then they are going to go down.“They have flirted with relegation the last couple of seasons and there is only so many times you can do that before it is your turn.”
It has taken a while but Joel Campbell is finally making an impact for Arsenal.The Costa Rican had a bright World Cup back in 2014 but still struggled last season for the Gunners.Now, though, Campbell has taken his chance at the Emirates, with team-mates suffering injuries, and Arsenal fans are pleased the 23-year-old is being able to show his true ability.Against Sunderland in the FA Cup third round he grabbed the Gunners’ first goal and helped them to a 3-1 victory, and you can see how supporters reacted to his display below… Arsenal star Joel Campbell 1
Edelston, who was elected to the council four years ago, said he believes the five-member council works well together and has been able to accomplish its goals, including a new park, two major bridge construction projects aimed at improving traffic conditions, and the restoration of the Community Emergency Response Team program.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Westlake Village residents elected one new City Council member and returned an incumbent, while two incumbents appeared retained their seats on the Agoura Hills City Council, according to a final tally early Wednesday. Incumbent Philippa Klessig, a businesswoman, and Ned Davis, a businessman, won election in Westlake after all precincts were counted. “Four years isn’t enough time to get things done,” Klessig said before the election. “There’s more on my to-do list. I want to make sure what I’ve done keeps rolling.” Jim Bruno, who was elected to the Westlake Village council in 2003, did not seek re-election, opening the seat for Davis. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Davis said his years of community involvement and leadership, set him apart from the other candidates. “I have a lot of experience and time committed already in the things that are important in Westlake Village,” he said. “I wanted to step it up to a level that I have now where I can take on a job on the City Council. The others … don’t have that demonstrated, relevant experience at all.” Challengers Carol Kirschbaum, a retired risk manager and Theodore Corwin, a physician, finished third and forth respectively. In Agoura Hills, incumbents John Edelston, a health-care executive, and Los Angeles County public defender Dan Kuperberg defeated challengers Michael Forney, a businessman, and George Thomas, a newspaper publisher. Kuperberg, who’s been on the council 12 years, said he was looking forward to another term to take on new challenges, like the construction of a recreation center and the development of Agoura Village, a mixed-use project planned along Agoura Road and designed to be the city’s central hub.
1 Hakim Ziyech scored 17 goals in the 2015/16 season Swansea City are ready to challenge Middlesbrough for the services of Moroccan ace Hakim Ziyech.Premier League new boys Boro have been linked with the 23-year-old and some reports even suggested that a deal was almost complete.However, sources in Italy have now claimed that the north-east club could be about to be gazumped by Swansea.Sampdoria have also been trying to sign Ziyech, who starred for Twente last term, scoring 17 goals and setting up 12 more in his 33 league outings.But Calciomercato have reported that both Sampdoria and Middlesbrough look set to miss out on the signing – with Swansea now front-runners to land him.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored 11 goals in the Bundesliga last season Mino Raiola has revealed that Henrikh Mkhitaryan wants to leave Borussia Dortmund this summer – and sign for Premier League giants Manchester United.The highly rated Armenia was one of the best players in the Bundesliga last season, scoring 11 goals and registering 20 assists on the way to a second place finish.However, for all his success under Thomas Tuchel, the winger is looking for a move away from the Westfalenstadion – and there is only one club he wants to move to.Mkhitaryan’s agent Mino Raiola revealed that the 27-year-old only wants to sign for Manchester United, and that talks are ongoing to sanction a departure from Dortmund.“He wants to go to Manchester United and we are still trying to resolve the situation,” Raiola said.“We are still talking to Dortmund. We are trying to be reasonable. They are aware that Micki wants to leave now.”Mkhitaryan would solve one of the key problems in the Red Devils’ squad, with no real right winger of quality available for new manager Jose Mourinho.Since being appointed boss at Old Trafford, the Portuguese coach has brought in one player – promising Ivorian defender Eric Bailly. 1
LIMA, Peru – A Supreme Court judge convicted former President Alberto Fujimori of abuse of authority and sentenced him to six years in prison Tuesday in the first criminal conviction for Fujimori, who also faces human-rights and corruption charges. Supreme Court Justice Pedro Guillermo Urbina declared Fujimori guilty of abusing his power for ordering an illegal search as his government imploded in scandal seven years ago. He also fined Fujimori the equivalent of $134,900. The former president was convicted of having a military aide pose as a prosecutor and search without a warrant the luxury apartment of the wife of his spy chief, Vladimiro Montesinos, in November 2000. It was the first prison sentence handed down for Fujimori, 69, who ruled Peru from 1990 to 2000, before fleeing to Japan, his ancestral homeland, as his government collapsed. He faces three other trials on charges that include murder, kidnapping and corruption. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champFujimori showed little emotion during the hearing. After the sentence was read, he consulted quickly with his defense lawyer and then addressed the judge, saying he was appealing “partially” the sentence and the fine. He did not elaborate. On Monday, an indignant Fujimori shouted his innocence and waved his arms in outrage as he went on trial in a separate case on charges he authorized an army death squad to kill leftist rebels and collaborators. He faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted for his alleged role in the killings, which came amid a government crackdown on a bloody Maoist insurgency. “I received a country … almost in collapse, exhausted by hyperinflation, international financial isolation and widespread terrorism,” he said, his voice cracking with emotion. “My government rescued the human rights of 25 million Peruvians with no exceptions. If any detestable acts were committed, I condemn them, but they were not done on my orders. I reject the charges totally. I am innocent and do not accept the prosecutor’s accusation,” he shouted angrily as the head of the three-judge panel called him to order. After his trial for murder and kidnapping, Fujimori will have two more trials. In one, he faces charges of illegally paying $15 million in state funds to Montesinos, now jailed and accused of dozens of crimes, to get him to leave his post. In a fourth trial, he faces charges of bribing opposition congressmen, illegal wire tapping and misuse of state funds to buy a television station to support his re-election campaign. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“We have to push back so that we’re moving up the standings by putting points on the board, rather than the other direction,” Gainey said at a news conference. Carbonneau said the decision to return to Montreal, where he was an assistant from 2000-02, was an easy one despite the fact he won’t take over until next season. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita “I really enjoyed the experience when I came here five years ago, being behind the bench with (then-coach) Michel Therrien,” said Carbonneau, who has no head coaching experience and was in his third season as an assistant GM with Dallas. “I couldn’t wait for a second chance to come back in a different position.” Kasparitis hurt: New York Rangers defenseman Darius Kasparaitis sprained his knee when he collided with a teammate during warmups before Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. Kasparaitis collided with forward Dominic Moore and had to be helped off the ice by Moore and forward Jason Ward. The Montreal Canadiens fired coach Claude Julien on Saturday, with general manager Bob Gainey taking over on an interim basis and Guy Carbonneau slated to become coach at the season’s end. The Canadiens got off to a strong 12-3 start this season under Julien before losing 18 of their past 25 games. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Áras Gaoth Dobhair has vacancies for care assistants to cover annual leave, sick leave, etc.Fetac Level 5 or equivalent qualification is required.Working hours will be variable. You must be available for both day and night duty and weekend work. The closing date for applications is Friday 1st March 2019. Please send your CV to: Geraldine Coyle, Director of Services, Áras Gaoth Dobhair, Meenanillar, Derrybeg, Co. Donegal or by email to [email protected]ÚNTAS – CúraimíÁras Gaoth DobhairTá folúntas againn faoi lathair do Cúraimí le laethanta saoire, tinneas srl a chumhdach. Ba chóir go mbeadh Teastas Fetac Leibhéal 5 no ar comhbhrí ag na h-iarratosoirí. Caithfidh sibh a bheith ar fail i gcoir gach cinéal seifteanna mar shampla san oiche agus ag an deireadh seachtaine. Iarratáis le bheith istigh roimh 1ú Marta 2019. Cuir do CV chuig: Geraldine Nic Giolla Chomhaill, Áras Gaoth Dobhair, Mín an Iolair, Na Doire Beaga, Co. Dhún na nGall nó ar riomhphost chuig: [email protected]: 074-9560624 Faics: 074-9560931Vacancies: Áras Gaoth Dobhair requires care assistants was last modified: February 12th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:aras gaoth dobhairdonegaljobsVacancies
DONEGAL TD Dinny McGinley has today welcomed the announcement by Minister Phil Hogan that a grant scheme is being established to provide financial assistance to householders who need to upgrade their septic tanks or waste water treatment systems.“Septic tank inspections are due to get underway in the New Year, and this announcement that grants are to be made available for remedial works will provide extra reassurance to householders,” said Junior Minister McGinley.“Despite consistent scaremongering from Opposition and others about the cost of repairs, the reality is that the vast majority of septic tanks will pass inspections. But for the minority of those that do require remedial works, this grant will be of great assistance. “Grants of up to €4,000 will be made available to householders who need to upgrade their treatment systems.“This will go a considerable way to ensuring that the remedial works will not place undue financial pressure on the householders involved. Domestic tanks and other waste water systems should be registered by February 1st next; and it is important to add that only householders who register their systems will be eligible for a grant.“The majority of septic tanks are working well, but those that aren’t pose a threat to our drinking water supplies. Ensuring we have effective waste water treatment systems is essential for the environment and for our economy. Protecting groundwater is not only important for local communities; having a reliable water supply is crucial when trying to attract high value industries such as pharmaceuticals and ICT.“Minister Hogan gave a commitment last year to introduce a grant scheme for septic tank owners. Today’s announcement will be of particular benefit to lower income families. Households with an income of less than €50,000 will be able to apply for up to 80% of the cost of remedial works. “People living in rural areas fully understand the importance of protecting our water supplies. This new inspection regime will not only enhance our water supplies, it will have a positive effect on the tourism, recreation, agricultural and food-producing sectors, all of which rely on clean water.“If you have not yet registered your septic tank, you can go to www.ProtectOurWater.ie. More than 290,000 have already registered their systems, and I would encourage any householders in Donegal who have not done so, to register their tank without delay.”Inspections will be based on a national inspection plan currently being finalised by the Environmental Protection Agency.Owners of domestic waste-water treatments systems need to:· Know where their septic tank is located · Operate and maintain the system so it is fit for purpose and fully operational· Ensure the system does not pollute the environment by discharging/leaking waste anywhere it is not suppose to ie. Into the ground or any water source ;· Ensure that roof water or surface water run-off cannot enter a domestic waste water treatment system;· De-sludge the system at intervals appropriate to the tank capacity and the number of persons resident in the premises connected to it or as recommended by the system’s manufacturer. TD McGINLEY WELCOMES GRANT SCHEME FOR SEPTIC TANK UPGRADES was last modified: December 17th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Dinny McGinleyPhil HoganTD McGINLEY WELCOMES GRANT SCHEME FOR SEPTIC TANK UPGRADES
VIEWPOINT: Readers can submit articles for publication by emailing [email protected], or submit comments below.Dear Donegal Daily,I’ve thought long and hard about sending this in, but I feel I must speak out on behalf of workers in this county and across this country who are being fleeced simply because Fine Gael has failed to stand up to the Labour Party in government. I laughed at last month’s budget and how the newspapers reported how Fine Gael had apparently got what they wanted out of it.If they did, then they have let down people like me who voted for change and voted for the first time for Fine Gael.I work full-time. My wife works part-time. We know we are lucky to have work when so many do not.However despite this, we appear – on the face of it at least – to be much worse off than some families I know. I go out one night per week. I have just a couple of pints. But in my local bar I see neighbours on the dole who I know are out three or four nights every week, drinking my taxes. And they have a lot more than two pints each time.At Christmas, we struggled to get gifts for our children. We just couldn’t buy many of things they put on their list for Santa.Yet the children of some of my neighbours were running around with all the latest gadgets and toys. Paid for by my taxes.Apparently I am one of those in the squeezed middle, struggling to pay every bill and keep a roof over our heads.We did manage just before Christmas to get a Saorview box for the television. My on-the-dole neighbours have a full Sky package. They were able to watch the football over Christmas, paid for with my taxes. Something is just not right. Something is not adding up.We will have more taxes to pay in 2013. The property tax, water charges probably and septic tank fees.There is no end to the squeeze. We are, in fact, being slowly squashed.I know I cannot blame those who benefit from our generous benefits system. It’s not their fault – in most cases at least – that they are on the dole. If I was getting that sort of money every week, I’d have Sky TV too – and video games for the kids.It seems to me – and I’m open to other opinions – that if you try to work in this country, you get punished over and over again with new taxes.But if you do not work, and I know most people can’t work, you can do a great deal better.Hard-working families cannot take anymore.RegardsSeanDad of threeCounty DonegalVIEWPOINT: WITH THIS GOVERNMENT, I’D BE BETTER OFF ON THE DOLE was last modified: January 1st, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:I’D BE BETTER OFF ON THE DOLEVIEWPOINT: WITH THIS GOVERNMENT